Not connected, Your IP: 18.116.62.45
tcsair2016

Download speed bottleneck thru AirVPN server

I'm running the OpenVPN client in a Tomato-flashed router (Asus RT-N12) and have the download bottleneck indicated in the data below. Is there a way to remedy this sorry state of affairs?

Down: 17.925 Mbit/s Out, 4.817 Mbit/s In (26%), 20MB - Up: 3.476 Mbit/s Out, 3.317 Mbit/s In (95%), 20MB - Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 09:53:30 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/20MB - Laps: 3, Time: 214.23 secs

the bottleneck is your router CPU.  router CPUs just can't process openvpn fast enough to make it fun.  Even the most powerful consumer routers can do maybe 60mbit/s.

I have now, an Asus RT-N16 router with Tomato firmware on it. I performed tests via Ookla (the test on AirVPN.org is no longer functioning). Here are the test results:

Client           Server   Ping (ms)   Download (Mbps)   Upload (Mbps)
No VPN             N/A        13           17                3.8
AirVPN Windows    Alwaid      27           16                3.5
Tomato OpenVPN    Alwaid      39            8                3.5

The AirVPN Windows client software causes only minor download speed reduction (and can be within the error of testing). The big problem, as before with the RT-N12, is that the download speed through the router, using it's built-in OpenVPN client, is a fraction of the speed when no VPN is used. While download speed seems to have improved with the RT-N16, it is still an unacceptable performance hit. So, my question is, what level ($$$) of router does AirVPN/OpenVPN require to make it perform acceptably? Are there specific brands/models anyone here knows of that will not degrade the throughput? The lure of VPN (for me) is to have it on the router so multiple devices don't each need client software and user interaction with the VPN technology.

I told you even the most powerful consumer routers could only do about 60mbit/s.   The N16 is weak.  It only has a single core MIPS CPU.

Stick with Asus, use merlin firmware for other options like policy based routing.

The AC56 and AC68 have good CPU and are older and prices for those have dropped.

Otherwise I've heard good things about the AC88.

I told you even the most powerful consumer routers could only do about 60mbit/s.   The N16 is weak.  It only has a single core MIPS CPU.

Stick with Asus, use merlin firmware for other options like policy based routing.

The AC56 and AC68 have good CPU and are older and prices for those have dropped.

OK. The AC56 won't work for me because I require removable antennas. The AC68 is going for about $150 new (Amazon) and $100 used (ebay). The AC88 is over $200.

For now, I'll stay with the AirVPN Windows client software on my workstation (which gets internet via the RT-N16 or RT-N12). Eventually, I want to start working with the Ubiquiti business-grade products but I'll first have to research how well AirVPN works with those.

OK. The AC56 won't work for me because I require removable antennas. The AC68 is going for about $150 new (Amazon) and $100 used (ebay). The AC88 is over $200.

For now, I'll stay with the AirVPN Windows client software on my workstation (which gets internet via the RT-N16 or RT-N12). Eventually, I want to start working with the Ubiquiti business-grade products but I'll first have to research how well AirVPN works with those.

you can build a box that will run pfsense and do openvpn very well for relatively little money.  No more than one of those expensive routers.  You can still get use out of your current wireless router as an access point for wifi devices.

I built one with an AMD APU that does AES-NI for $127.  the only thing that I didn't need to buy was an extra network card as I already had one.