Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.195.248
Sign in to follow this  
mikael44

Twitch and AirVPN

Hello ! 

I have some difficulties with Twitch : 

• My provider (Free) and Twitch have peering issue so the the speed is low between my house and the different twitch servers.
  • So I thought that I could use the VPN to bypass this issue between Twitch and my provider.
  • But I had a lower speed with the VPN.

So I tried : 

• Different ports and protocols. 
  • Servers from Netherlands, France, Sweden and Germany.
  • I check the router firewall, it doesn't block the VPN ports.

Does Twitch limit the bandwidth from the VPN servers ? 

I'm very satisfied by your services. This is a minor issue but it should be a good bonus to bypass this problem between my provider and Twitch.

Thank you,

Mikael

Well usually providers aren't free? Anyway when you use VPN it basically goes from you to the VPN server which then talks to twitch and receives the data and sends it to you, it may be that your provider has peering/limits on datacenters in general plus routing could be a factor. And keep in mind Twitch receives the streams from people which then go to their servers and send it out, depending on the server they stream to and your bandwidth and many other factors it may just be that your provider due to being free doesn't have the resources to provide you with high quality twitch video files.

Hello,

Free is the provider's name . And you're right, it has an issue with peering. But I was thinking that this problem was only between Twitch and its.

By other means I thought that the speed could be better between VPN server and Twitch and then between the VPN server and me. But it doesn't work like this ? 

Hello,

Free is the provider's name . And you're right, it has an issue with peering. But I was thinking that this problem was only between Twitch and its.

By other means I thought that the speed could be better between VPN server and Twitch and then between the VPN server and me. But it doesn't work like this ? 

Well not necessarily, your traffic goes between you and the server instead of twitch, but the server still have to receive the request from you to give it to twitch and then it goes to twitch and back to you, if anything it could make it slower if it's a routing problem and not a throttling issue, with twitch since it is live streams with 3MB/s usually for good quality streams that rarely get compressed on twitch servers due to the amount of traffic their servers go through it's basically just relaying it as fast as possible with partners and streamers with a lot of viewers getting priority on the servers so if your bandwidth can't handle it a VPN server with high encryption would in reality just make it worse.

Ok, I did the parallel with the bandwidth when I use p2p and VPN but I understand that we can't compare. 

Thank you for your explanations. 

I had the same problem with Free and Twitch and with AirVPN everyting goes fine.

Connect to the VPN and check at the top of the page if you have a green cross (not connected) and then an IPV6 adress. Free use IPV6 by default and this leads to leaks. You can also check here http://ipv6-test.com/

If this is the problem, block IPV6 in the Free panel. Or in Eddie

I had the same problem with Free and Twitch and with AirVPN everyting goes fine.

Connect to the VPN and check at the top of the page if you have a green cross (not connected) and then an IPV6 adress. Free use IPV6 by default and this leads to leaks. You can also check here http://ipv6-test.com/

I have already desactivated ipv6 in Free panel, Ethernet configuration and Eddie. Your link confirm that I don't seem to have a leak.

Can you watch stream w/o lags (with many viewer and at 18.00 for example) in "source quality" ? 

Some news : 

I'm trying to watch "source" quality stream from Twitch with a french server and now it works "fine". I really don't know why but...the encapsulated route distance ? 

If someone has a hypothesis. 

Thx

EDIT : At 20.00 that worked not so fine, better with VPN (french server) but my provider has real issues with its peering.

I have already desactivated ipv6 in Free panel, Ethernet configuration and Eddie. Your link confirm that I don't seem to have a leak.

Can you watch stream w/o lags (with many viewer and at 18.00 for example) in "source quality" ? 

Yes, I have the optical fiber and when I can't watch Twitch streams (approx 6-8K from 20 to 00) with "normal connection" at these times. I use the French server and everything goes fine with Source quality