Not connected, Your IP: 18.119.143.4
Sign in to follow this  
Timberlake

Why do all US servers sometimes geolocate to Phoenix, AZ?

On two separate occasions in the past month I've selected servers in the US and found that they all geolocated to Phoenix, AZ when I checked my IP address on a few sites dedicated to that sort of thing. On the first occasion I tried five servers which were located in places like NJ, Virginia, Chicago, etc. and they were all listed as being located in Phoenix. The IP addresses were OK though. BTW, I am not anywhere near AZ.

Today it happened again with one server. I haven't checked any others.

Servers in Canada geolocated to where they were supposed to be.

The GeoIP database accuracy for U.S. is in a bad shape. The lack of IPv4 in ARIN made lots of companies announce their allocations which are registered

in a certain state, in other states as well. This is very common and nothing much can be done about it.

Practically I don't think there should be a huge usability impact by that, as long as the main country is U.S.

Do you have an example of a service that is discriminating users based on their state?

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

The GeoIP database accuracy for U.S. is in a bad shape. The lack of IPv4 in ARIN made lots of companies announce their allocations which are registered

in a certain state, in other states as well. This is very common and nothing much can be done about it.

Practically I don't think there should be a huge usability impact by that, as long as the main country is U.S.

Do you have an example of a service that is discriminating users based on their state?

In the United States several sports live streams exclude users from viewing local sports that are out of state.

Ex; If i am in Vermont i may not be able to watch a football game or baseball etc in California or any other state