Not connected, Your IP: 3.141.41.187
Sign in to follow this  
SENKOU

/tmp/ gets polluted with .pid files when using SSL tunnel

Every connection makes a new one, but they're not cleaned up when disconnecting. If you have screwy internet it gets pretty annoying looking for files in /tmp/, especially since the file names start with a random hash so they're not clumped together when sorting alphabetically.

​You can see where the client tells stunnel to make them here: https://github.com/AirVPN/airvpn-client/blob/83eae96b08c6e3147cc24c71db25cd0975ba9e64/src/Core/Threads/Session.cs#L635

​I don't know how it uses the file though.

​Possible solutions:

​- make the files in a /tmp/airvpn/ directory instead of /tmp/

​- cleanup the files when they're not needed anymore (presumably when disconnecting)

Hmm yeah I can see that but I would think they are under the assumption that you clean your temp once in a while, a reboot usually accomplish this too

Many *nix daemons create .pid files in order to lock the current proccess and avoid

possible race conditions if more than one is started. Notable ones are Apache/Nginx, MySQL, PHP.

Stunnel uses the same ports for itself and works similar so it implemets the same approach.

I am not saying this couldn't be moved to /tmp/air or gathered in a single direction, but note that

not all systems have write permissions and some systems run with SELinux which might prevent

creating certain things.

May I know why these files annoy you so much? They are zero sized so there is no disk bloat, and

like EdensSpire said they are removed after a system reboot or if you manually choose to do so.

The /tmp directory is a place for temporary "garbage", so don't expect it to be as tidy as others.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.