Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.189.177
imaginegreat

Preventing Eddie from contacting all servers upon launch

I have blacklisted some countries/servers within the Eddie client. The client doesn't tunnel my connection through those servers, but everytime it starts I see it contacts all servers, including those that I have blacklisted, presumably to get server status information.

Is there a way to prevent the Eddie client from making any type of request/contact with the blacklisted servers? I could go about to manually block connections to the blacklisted servers with my firewall, but I'd have to be updating this and it wouldn't really be practical.

Any help would be really appreciated.

This also happens when you login to the website and view the status page.

You can block servers by their entry IPs in your firewall or entire ISPs by subnets

if you wish, however I don't really understand the practical usage of it. All the servers

can be equally trusted.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Thanks for your answer zhang88!  You're right, this also happens when I log in and see the status page. I trust your servers, my only concern is that if many ISPs see me connecting to your servers many parties in addition to my ISP could infer that I'm using a VPN. Is this unjustified?

In a far theoretical reality - maybe, but they only may know that you -intend- to use a VPN, in case

they know that this entry IP is used for a VPN service. but considering that you are only sending a

small "ping" to them when you are not connecting, and considering the amount of traffic (several

hunderd mbit/s) flowing via most of those servers, your ping is lost in a large flow of traffic.

Note that when you connect to websites such as http://speedtest.net  - a similar mechanism is taking

place, in order to determine the average latency between you and other servers around.

You can, however, only allow your WAN to connect to a single VPN server or subnet, by whitelisting

only a single host or that particular subnet.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.