Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.142.248
a7b4f5b3

Is there any way to get more consistent speeds? Is it a server load issue?

As someone who has been testing PIA vs AIR, I really make use of the remote port feature, but I've noticed that AIRVPN speeds seem to vary frequently and are often less than my max.

This morning though I seem to be having no trouble hitting my full internet speed out of AIR, but also sometimes I can't even get 900KB/s. Usually though it isn't that bad but I still lose a quarter to half of my internet speed on average, whereas the other VPN consistently hits my top speed, give or take about 3-4Mbps (sometimes I get more than I pay for in the morning it seems).

I use ASUS Merlin on an AC5300. I don't think running AES256 vs AES128 (PIA VPN) is the problem as the CPU should have enough power and it can hit full speed right now so if the AES 256 was pegging the CPU out, it shouldn't be able to do that at all. I overclocked slightly just in case but that shouldn't have mattered much if at all.

It doesn't seem to be a port issue either. Right now I can use UDP 443 and 2018 (So I switched back to 443) and hit max speeds. AirVPN doesn't sustain them as well as PIA or WAN, but it is capable of reaching them at this current moment (I usually can't though).

I do my speed tests 3 different ways.

1. Speedtest.net (via speedtest_cli)

2. TestMy.net (via Chrome)

3. Downloading a 100MB file (via wget -O /dev/null http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test100.zip)

I would prefer to go full AirVPN but the lesser speed and speed variance is the only issue I'm seeing.

I use ASUS Merlin on an AC5300. I don't think running AES256 vs AES128 (PIA VPN) is the problem as the CPU should have enough power

You might be wrong. This is not only about power, it is more about dedicated AES instructions, and ARM isn't

going to be anywhere near the x86 in terms of crypto performance anytime soon.

To test it, just try doing the same speedtest while the client is running on your PC and not the router.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

if the speed varies by time of day it's most certainly a bottleneck in the route to/from the server, not the fault of the router.  900kB/s is slow.  the route to the PIA server may be "better" and that's why you see consistently better speeds.

It's also easy to see the load on an AirVPN server but it's most likely not the reason for slow speeds.