Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.186.173
hillw75

Been having trouble with VPN for a week now

I have had trouble with my VPN for a week or two now, the first couple of months have been fine with no issues, I couldn't tell speed changes from being on or off the VPN.

I went away for 2 weeks and when I came back the speeds were really slow I am getting speeds of 46 B/s it says and when I loads a new website it drops to 0 on upload and download for about 5 seconds and then loads.

When I'm in a Skype call it becomes really lagg and makes my internet become really slow too.

Not much can be ascertained if all you can give us is 2 weeks away. I've been 8 months away a year or so ago and there was no difference when I returned, so time away means zilch.

You need to investigate a bit more or at least give much more info else everyone here could be suggesting and listing a multitude of things - I suspect you would get no replies.

I've been an AirVPN customer for 4 years now and I've never seen it as bad as it has been in 2016 so far.  I actually increased my ISP speed in late 2015 and speedtest.net shows i'm getting what im paying for.  Yet every server I try now on the VPN, latency is just horrible.  Nearby (within 250-300 miles) servers are as slow as servers on the other side of the world.   It can take 30 seconds just to load the speedtest.net page or any page for that matter.  Often pages time out and won't load at all.   They then load instantly when off the VPN.  

Just to experiment I even added google's DNS, 8.8.8.8, to my VPN's network adapter settings thinking maybe there was something going on with AIRVPN's DNS.  It didnt make any difference.

I tried a couple of other VPN's before settling on Air and have really liked it but if it stays like this I doubt I'll be renewing.  This is happening on both Windows 7 and Windows 10 on a dual boot system (totally different SSD drives).  It doesn't matter whether I use OpenVPN and downloaded configurations or the AirVPN GUI.

If anyone has any tips I can try or test in case it's my system, I'm all ears.    I haven't had this severe slowness using AIRVPN in the past.  I have a seedbox that's 3600 miles away and comes with a VPN configuration that can be added in OpenVPN.  Even that's much faster than a dozen AirVPN's servers that are within 300 miles of my location.

Thanks very much, Khariz.  That does seem to have solved it for me.  I'm back to getting almost my full ISP speed on the nearby VPN servers.   I don't see any option to uncheck updating in the AirVPN client though.  I have the 64bit portable client.   Normally I just use the OpenVPN client itself with downloaded configuration files but I did check device manager and the driver was as you said.  9.21  So I must have updated it at some point.

I don't see any option to uncheck updating in the AirVPN client though.

Settings > Advanced.

So I must have updated it at some point.

Eddie upgrades it automatically, you recently may have updated Eddie.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I don't see any option to uncheck updating in the AirVPN client though.

Settings > Advanced.

>So I must have updated it at some point.

Eddie upgrades it automatically, you recently may have updated Eddie.

Found it.  Thanks to you both.  As I said, I don't normally use Eddie.  I  downloaded the 64bit portable version just to try it out and yup, that's what happened. It must have updated the driver.

Well, Now I have another problem.   I switched to my Windows 10 install to go back to the older TAP driver and Wiindows gives an error trying to install it.  I removed the TAP and all of OpenVPN software and rebooted but it still only allows me to install the newer 9.21 driver.  My VPN speeds are again crippled.   I guess I found another reason not to move to W10.

Uninstall the tap driver. Then install a vanilla OpenVPN install with the 9.9 driver. Make sure auto-update is disabled in Eddie. Run installer packages as an admin. But installing OpenVPN will fix the tap driver to the correct version if you have none installed.

Uninstall the tap driver. Then install a vanilla OpenVPN install with the 9.9 driver. Make sure auto-update is disabled in Eddie. Run installer packages as an admin. But instilling OpenVPN will fix the tap driver to the correct version if you have none installed.

I tried but it wouldn't install the TAP driver.  I tried a May 2013 build of Openvpn for 64bit from that page off the forum link you gave.  The OpenVPN part installed fine but it gave an error on the TAP driver just like when I tried installing it by itself.   I don't have Eddie installed at all.    I'll give it another go but I don't think W10 likes that the earlier TAP driver isn't signed or something.  It doesn't let you override it and install it even when running the install as administrator.  It doesnt even say what the error means.  

The error it gives is "A problem was encountered while trying to add the driver to the store"

Ahah!  Success!  I had to disable device driver signing to get it to install.