Not connected, Your IP: 3.129.23.30
Sign in to follow this  
jstasu01

utorrent Slows VPN Connection To A Crawl

I get good speeds(50 mbps on a 75/75 connection) until I start a download on utorrent (v 2.2.1). After that the connection runs under 1 kbps. I'm using the AirVPN client on Windows 7 64 bit.  This seems to happen on every protocol.

I created a random port to forward in the client area of AirVPN. I then copied that to my listening port in the connections section of utorrent. THis did nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sounds like the issue I was seeing.  See the thread here titled "TAP Driver 9.21.0 causing a myriad of issues."  Rolling back the TAP driver to an earlier version fixed things for me.

I use Vuze for torrents and I port forward 2 ports - 1 TCP & 1 UDP and just put those port numbers in Tools/Options and I get great speed. If you don't want to use Vuze to convert your stuff ( I use VSO ConvertX software) you don't need to pay anything for it and go ahead and use the beta version.  I had tried uTorrent and Torch but went right back to Vuze.  I'm on Windows 10 - 64bit. I'm using a 4 year old Dell XPS 17 laptop with a Core i7 processor...but I have 3 external hard drives coming through a Plugable with their own power sources and I run all my downloads directly into them as if they were internal. 

Hope that helps!

celtic7033

I wonder if the torrent traffic is being identified and slowed by the server involved. This is happening in OS X as well.

Then what would cause this to happen on OXS?

It could be your isp throttling, server selection or even something on your local network.

Try different ports/protocols or SSL/SSH.

Try servers in completely different locations.

If you're on wireless try wired.

For testing try connecting via a different machine, aka not the mac.