Not connected, Your IP: 18.188.40.207
tln

Routing to multiple connections with different AirVPN servers

Hi,

I'm not using AirVPN mainly as a security provision but as an Internet speed booster, since UDP allows for more than 15 times the bandwidth of TCP in some networks, probably due to weak switches which are overloaded with the statefulness of millions of TCP connections going through them.

However, when I say "some networks", I'm not talking about some local infrastructure, I'm talking on big scale networks like huge ISPs in Asia operating whole countries or more. That's why the nature of the goal makes it necessary to route traffic on UDP over long distances, not just to a server around the corner, which in turn can have an adverse effect if you route your traffic away from the target server instead of closer to it. For that reason I'd like to use several AirVPN connections simultaneously from the same computer going to several well-chosen locations and route traffic through one of the tunnels depending on the target IP address.

I've gotten quite far already. I managed to set up individual connections with their own lists of routes successfully, and a default connection that routes everything not otherwise in a routing table of any connection. I'm also able to start connections simultaneously using OpenVPN. But my problem is: How can I distinguish different AirVPN connections?

AirVPN gateways always seem to have IP 10.4.0.1, so when the second connection sets its routes like

C:\Windows\system32\route.exe ADD xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx MASK 255.255.255.255 10.4.0.1

upon getting established, these routes are actually set for the first connection, which is also using 10.4.0.1 as its gateway.

Effectively the second connection gets set up, the tunnel is active and OpenVPN is totally happy in the log, but the connection is not used for anything, because no route points to it. Or rather: Lots of routes point to it (routing traffic through gateway 10.4.0.1), but since that IP address is assigned to the first connection, that one seems to take precedence and attract all the traffic.

How can I solve this?