Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.72.224
Sign in to follow this  
Vernon

3 day trial Some questions

Hello,

I just signed yesterday for the 3 day trial.

Installation was ok (a bug with the the TAP Window driver on XP, fine with Linux) and I like the ease of use to connect to the chosen server.

I have 2 questions.

First one is on download speed (no surprise...).

I an on a dsl 15/1 in Montreal . When not on vpn I get rock solid 15M according to speedtest.net.

Witn vpn on (to toronto servers) I get 60% of that , 9M (always according to speedtest.net).

When I try Airvpn speedtest I get 98% on Donwload and 99% on Upload. Seems fine but for Donwload it says Out of tunnel is 7.43 M and In the tunnel 7.35 M.

So I am puzzled. How I come from 15 to 7.43?

I tried change servers, different tuning: udp, tcp, buffer etc. It just results in minor variations.

2nd question is about Network lock mode. I am unable to get the padlock locked, it's always unlocked 'Network exposed" either I am connected or not.

I tried to fix it with Preferences/General and be sure the "Activate Network Lock at startup" box is ticked but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Don't think I can answer all your questions. You mentioned you changed servers, udp, tcp, and etc. Did you try changing from automatic to SSH 443 and/or SSL? Doing the ssh/ssl setting helped me and tend to help if the ISP throttles VPN. How SSH/SSL works is that it makes it look like you are browsing a site with HTTPS.

On the network lock issue, is Windows firewall enabled? The network lock simply configures the firewall to deny all connections except from/to the VPN connection. I have had issues with network lock at times; I just kept enabling/disabling til I got it.

Don't think I can answer all your questions. You mentioned you changed servers, udp, tcp, and etc. Did you try changing from automatic to SSH 443 and/or SSL? Doing the ssh/ssl setting helped me and tend to help if the ISP throttles VPN. How SSH/SSL works is that it makes it look like you are browsing a site with HTTPS.

On the network lock issue, is Windows firewall enabled? The network lock simply configures the firewall to deny all connections except from/to the VPN connection. I have had issues with network lock at times; I just kept enabling/disabling til I got it.

Thanks for replying.

For the Network lock it seems this feature is not supported for XP.

For the speed I am still puzzled.

I did a test this morning on Rotanev server in Toronto and here are the results:

With Speedtest.net

4993296037.png

With Airvpn test:

Down: 7.011 Mbit/s Out, 6.707 Mbit/s In (95%), 20MB - Up: 0.829 Mbit/s Out, 0.826 Mbit/s In (99%), 10MB - Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:51:34 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/10MB - Laps: 3, Time: 668.06 secs

Not much loss in the tunnel BUT why do I have a 7.011 M speed OUT of the tunnel since my connection is 15M:

4993363319.png

So I am wondering where are the 6 M missing (according to speedtest) or 8 M (according to airvpn test)?

Are they any people in the Montreal area connecting to Toronto servers? Would you mind share your results?

Thanks

Thanks for replying.

For the Network lock it seems this feature is not supported for XP.

For the speed I am still puzzled.

I did a test this morning on Rotanev server in Toronto and here are the results:

With Speedtest.net

4993296037.png

With Airvpn test:

Down: 7.011 Mbit/s Out, 6.707 Mbit/s In (95%), 20MB - Up: 0.829 Mbit/s Out, 0.826 Mbit/s In (99%), 10MB - Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:51:34 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/10MB - Laps: 3, Time: 668.06 secs

Not much loss in the tunnel BUT why do I have a 7.011 M speed OUT of the tunnel since my connection is 15M:

4993363319.png

So I am wondering where are the 6 M missing (according to speedtest) or 8 M (according to airvpn test)?

Are they any people in the Montreal area connecting to Toronto servers? Would you mind share your results?

Thanks

Have you tried setting to use different protocol instead of the default "automatic"; such as SSH or SSL in case ISP throttles if it sees you using VPN?

Have you tried setting to use different protocol instead of the default "automatic"; such as SSH or SSL in case ISP throttles if it sees you using VPN?

Yes I did. I tried about every protocol, SSH #22 #80 #53, SSL #443, alternative ports, alternative entry IP.

No problem at all connecting  but depending on servers I stay in the 6M- 9M range. Actually SSL being the worst, more on the 6M side. My best bets seeming to be UDP #443 or TCP #443, depending on servers I get about 8.5-9M.

And I am pretty sure my ISP doesn't throttle, it's a small independent one.