Not connected, Your IP: 52.15.199.188
Sign in to follow this  
guppy

Stand alone VPNencoder, how?

So currently I have my router running two VPN tunnels and I am doing split routing to make sure that the various computers on my network sends their traffic through the right "pipe".

This works but only very, very slowly (~3-4Mbit/s) due to the limited cpu power of my router and this at times can be a pain, so I bought an old computer to handle the VPN encoding.

I've installed pfsense on it but that's as far as I got - hopefully somebody can give me some pointers as I've never used pfsense before and it seems kinda weird to me.

The "VPN" box has 3 NICs the first two (vN1, vN2 henceforth) will be used to determine what tunnel to send the traffic to and the last one will be an "uplink" of sort.

Question 1 how do I go about sending the traffic to the VPN box's IPs - currently I use iptables to send traffic though the vpn "interfaces" tun11 / tun12, how do I send it to a different IP alltogether?

Question 1b - given that I my split routing is entirely based on source IP, would simply specifying vN1 or vN2 as gateway work?

Question 2 other than guessing how can I tell which NIC corresponds to what interface in pfsense? ( I'm using the serial edition if that makes a difference )

Question 3 how do I set up pfsense up to funnel everything from vN1 and vN2 though their respective VPN tunnel?

Hopefully the answers are simple - I'm just way out of my comfort zone here

Did you read the pfSense configuration manual (by pfSense_fan), here in the board?

https://airvpn.org/topic/11245-how-to-set-up-pfsense-21-for-airvpn/

Except question 2 everything should be right there. For that you will have to connect a cable to each

and check the pfSense status page - the interface will become green (connected) instead of red (disconnected).

If you have questions about policy based routing, ask them after you already configured your basic VPN on pfSense.

Most of them will be solved by you while doing the initial setup, since no one except you knows what routes you need.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Saw that guide it is for replacing my current router tho? I just want to offload VPN to a separate box