Not connected, Your IP: 44.192.16.116
Sign in to follow this  
Hannes1901

Are VPN exit node streams relatable?

I am sorry if this question was asked already or if it is plain stupid to ask because it is so obvious. BUT:

I was wondering if the outgoing traffic can be related to another stream of outgoing traffic?

Let us assume that I have set up my MacBook Air with a shiny Eddie. I now go to my favorite social sharing page and share something social. Then I open another tab and post to my anonymous blog. Will someone who monitors the exit node be able to connect those two actions?

Let us think of another case. I set up my MacBook Air to have no connections despite those coming from Virtual Machines. Also, I installed Eddie on the main OS. Now I go into my SocialVM and do social stuff. Then I switch to my UndergroundVM and post on my anarchyBlog. Can those two actions be connected?

I become paranoid, delete Eddie from my main OS and install it on each of the VMs. Is there still a connection between the streams of the VMs?

I become even more paranoid and delete Eddie from my UndergroundVM to use another VPN service on it. How about now?

Okay I'll admit, a bit confusing. However no it is quite impossible to connect any actions done on air servers given that more than you uses their servers at any given time and they can't see WHAT traffic goes where, the connection between your anonymous blog and the server is unencrypted so they can see it reaching the server, but once it hits the server and goes to you it is encrypted and they have NO clue who it went to, aslong as you are connected to airVPN and you don't have any leaks you are safe. Keep in mind with enough information about you, they could be able to piece things together if they have had your IP before and use court warrants and the sort to check the connections that went into the datacenter they can see you being connected, of course whatever you may have done they wouldn't have any proof of said action just suspicions.

Let us assume that I have set up my MacBook Air with a shiny Eddie. I now go to my favorite social sharing page and share something social. Then I open another tab and post to my anonymous blog. Will someone who monitors the exit node be able to connect those two actions?

Using the same browser for for "secure" and "unsecure" browsing is certainly a risk. Third party cookies is just one of the typical risks, as they can track you across webpages.

I'd recommend you at least use one browser for all personally identifiable work (social media, banking etc) and another browser for non-personally identifiable browsing.

​And remember: If it is really sensitive (e.g. a whistleblower-blog) - connect at any time only with the TOR-browser.

There is no simple answer to this question. You should separate your environments for personal and non-personal activities.

This doesn't matter if you reinstall your VPN client or not, there are many tracking techniques not related to your IP only.

Try these resources:

https://privacy-tools.io

https://prism-break.org

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.