Not connected, Your IP: 18.209.63.120
quisp65

Surging up & down speed with torrenting

Do people notice how when torrenting you will get good speed for about a minute or more and then you slow down considerably for about 5-15 seconds and then go back to a fast speed and rinse and repeat.  This has been consistent for quite a while with me and I just assumed this is how the servers behaved.  I use USA LA servers.  I can live with it, but it would help if it didn't do it.  

I only ask because maybe I got something wrong setup with Eddie?  I think the only thing goofy I did was set the TCP/UDP receive and send buffer size to 512KB.  I guess I'll go toy with this, but I don't really think it could be anything else.    

Buffers didn't do it, but I reverted back to 2.9 and the issue seems corrected and no surging up and down with the speeds.   Might be too early to tell though, but it was pretty regular with the surging.   

are you using a private site or public?

enough seeds/peers?

make sure your connection isent maxing out on the upload  as that slows down also

whats the speeds like pre vpn?

im in Australia and my speeds go up and down also

i personally use private sites which have fast speeds and no  matter which server ive used i can max out my 50mbps connection

try udp instead of tcp

maybe try a different server to torrent from

Always depends on the leecher/seeder to be honest. I had no problems maxing out my bandwith on a private torrent site.

Still having this issue on my Windows 10 virtual machine running on hyper-v.  I tried both 32 & 64 bit machines and eventually they all turn into a surging up and down in speeds, going less than 1MB bouncing up to 6MB and surging back and forth.  It seems to always happen after about a week or so.   I can drop the VPN and things run smoothly.  Also I can create another virtual machine and things run smoothly for a while.

I wonder if the virtual machine isn't getting shut down well and corrupting the AirVPN client during the host machine reboot, but a reinstall of both the client and tap driver doesn't fix the problem.  Right now I put the generic OpenVPN on a surging VM and it's fixed, but I'll see if it stays fixed.  Would prefer to use Eddie.   

I might try that or give the generic OpenVPN a little more time to see how it behaves.   Can you run Eddie 2.10 with an older tap driver or should you revert back to Eddie 2.9 and make sure the tap driver is also changed back to an older version?

Hi,

sounds like you have packet loss due to an incorrect MTU size.

Had the same problem on my Linux machine. What did the trick in the end was setting the correct MTU size for OpenVPN according to this guide:

https://www.sonassi.com/help/magestack/setting-correct-mtu-for-openvpn

I first determined the correct MTU with the ping command, which was in my case 1432. Then i lowered this value as described in the guide to  (1432 - 40) --> 1392.

I then set  the command mssfix 1392 in the Eddie Client in the section "OpenVPN Directives" in the "Advanced" tab. MayBE you should give this one a try.

Regards

Fox

I might try that or give the generic OpenVPN a little more time to see how it behaves.   Can you run Eddie 2.10 with an older tap driver or should you revert back to Eddie 2.9 and make sure the tap driver is also changed back to an older version?

You can use a downgraded TAP-driver with 2.10, just make sure you go into Eddie's settings and tick the "Disable driver upgrade" option under the advanced tab or it will update your driver when you connect.

Ok ruled out all listed above and none of those fixed it.  Over a period of about a week or so something is getting corrupted on the AirVPN client on my Hyper-V virtual machine and speeds are surging up and down with torrents.  I switched to the generic OpenVPN client and things are fixed, but I still haven't tested this over time to be 100% certain it will stay fixed.   Uninstalling and reinstalling the AirVPN client doesn't help and the same goes with the TAP driver or trying old version.  

Wonder what is getting corrupted with the AirVPN client?  It's something a reinstall won't fix.  Might be something specific with my machine that causes issues with the AirVPN client over time.  Anyway I'm into such a specific situation, I don't really expect a solution.... just putting out the info.  

Right now I'm having better luck with the generic OpenVPN client.     

Still does this on AirVPN's eddie client but I've used OpenVPN for over a month and it has no issues.   So I can't use AirVPNs client on Hyper-V virtual machine without torrent speeds eventually going up & down.  Tried everything.   I'm convinced OpenVPN is just a better client using with Hyper-V.  Works fine without a VPN.  Works fine with OpenVPN.  Doesn't work & surges with months of trying all different combinations using the AirVPN eddie client.  

I would like to use AirVPNs client due to a few abilities it has, but I guess I can't.