Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.84.32
Sign in to follow this  
T-BagOP

Being throttled after a few hours

Okay, so originally I was using UDP 2018, I got at the majority of times 80Mbps but then I switched to SSL 443 where I got 150Mbps on a 212Mbps Virgin Media line.

Anyway so I am currently on Nashira with SSL 443 but after a connection time of 32 minutes I have been throttled to 21Mbps.

This is happening constantly, some Googling has confirmed that Virgin are throttling speeds (and the fact I get over 50Mbps faster speeds through an SSL tunnel confirms this) but I am just wondering why I am being throttled now? Is there anything I can do to prevent VM from throttling the SSL tunnel?

Update: So I reconnected to Nashira, and instantly did the speedtest and I am back up to 150Mbps with 12Mbps upload.

Update 2: Did the test again, down to 100Mbps, 12Mbps up... Nashira seems to be at the same load and latency

I've heard they throttle in the past and other than switching up the connection types like you've been doing, there's often not much that can be done. If they're aggressive about it.

If the connection is dropping in speed every 32 minutes like clockwork you could try using the "Switch DHCP to Static" option in the client. Tbh I don't recall what the default dhcp lease time is in windows, but I've seen the refresh lease cause various issues in the past.

With your connection speed something else you could try is setting the default buffer sizes up high.