Not connected, Your IP: 3.142.255.113
Sign in to follow this  
Weasel

Key scrambler required with AIRVPN?

I normally use Key Scrambler, especially when doing online banking but I was wondering if it is necessary if connected to my bank via AIRVPN?  Would my key strokes be encryted via AIRVPN encryption?  Would connecting via SSH negate the need?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

This is used to protect against malware and keyloggers, specifically form-grabbing malware, not against banking sessions that are already encrypted end-to-end with TLS.

The effetviness of these devices is very limited in many cases, but sometimes it is required by banks. Trusteer Rapport is an example of such software.

So yes, to answer your question, you will still be more safe using VPN, especially from "local" attacks such as man-in-the-middle.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

AirVPN protects from an entirely different vector as what Key Scrambler does. So regardless of how effective Key Scrambler is, if you want its protection, then use it - it is NOT being replaced or done already by AirVPN as they do different things.

If you normally use it then continue using it.

Hi;  Ok so in plain terms that an old guy like me can understand, AIRVPN does or does not prevent my key strokes for such things as passwords from being seen?  On thinking of that, I guess if I have malware on my system that logs keys then Key Scrambler or AIRVPN are moot anyway, or would AIRVPN redirect my IP so if buddy was listening the information he gathered would not be related to my IP.

Thanks for the replies BTW>

AirVPN does not do anything in regards to your keyboard, so you should continue using your key scrambler.

If you have malware that captures information, then yes, it would associate the information with the VPN IP, but this is useless as they will be able to deduce who you are from the information they collect.

If you have any more questions then feel free to ask.