Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.138.223
hd5830gamer

Need more VPN protocols.

I noticed that with all VPN providers, that OpenVPN is actually slower than L2TP or IKEv2, IKEv2 seems to be the fastest out of them all. Are there any plans for implementations of L2TP or IKEv2?

With Linux / xBSD IPSec (with IKEv2 keying) is actually faster, because the data does not neet to be copied from kernelspace to userspace on the VPN Server.

My local VPN maxes out with OpenVPN at about 300 Mbit/s, while the IPSec (IKEv2) tunnel saturates the gigabit link. (Core i5 2400, cheap Intel NIC with hardware IPsec support)

IKEv2 is easy to deploy with software like Strongswan, don't know about IPSec over L2TP though, seems to be a pretty outdated concept.

/sign

For whatever reasons OpenVPN is very slow with STEAM. Don't know why, but with L2TP and/or PPTP  i get full speed. So i have to use another VPN for my STEAM client that provides L2TP. What is unfortunate as it prevents me from switching entirely to AirVPN, the service i trust the most.

Any other protocol support, be it IKEv2 and / or L2TP would surely be highly appreciated by many users.

Regards

So, now I have an account with another vpn as well. Any reason for me using 2 vpn providers? Idk.

So, now I have an account with another vpn as well. Any reason for me using 2 vpn providers? Idk.

Not unless you don't trust the VPN provider you are primarily using.  That's the only real reason for Tunnel-ception (Aka Tunnel-in-Tunnel behavior).  Some people have thought of other legitimate uses, but as long as you aren't Edward Snowden, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Search and discover the merits of "partition of trust".

Oh, I agree with that, in general. Never fully trust any entity to protect your privacy. Hell, I'm subscribed 11 different VPN services myself, but not because I'm paranoid. I don't trust reviews, and I like to test everything myself. Only 3 of the 11 have passed my personal scrutiny and AirVPN is one of them.

Where I work, the only way to get an internet connection with the free WiFi network, is IPSec. They allow these connections without a voucher. For OpenVPN I need a voucher - every day again.

So it would be nice if I could choose between OpenVPN and IPSec. Right now I have to use 2 VPN Providers. The other one to get internet access at the office.

Where I work, the only way to get an internet connection with the free WiFi network, is IPSec. They allow these connections without a voucher. For OpenVPN I need a voucher - every day again.

So it would be nice if I could choose between OpenVPN and IPSec. Right now I have to use 2 VPN Providers. The other one to get internet access at the office.

Not likely to happen here, sorry.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

As others have and will tell you, OpenVPN is the only protocol that AirVPN supports. Not because they are incapable, uncaring because the real reason is merely the opposite of uncaring. OpenVPN is the only protocol that is deemed to be even remotely secure . Even though you might trust other protocols, they simply do not and will only support OpenVPN in their quest to provide a secure service for their users.

In this case it's just about "can I use AirVPN also to connect to the internet from the office with a less secure connection".

From outside the office OpenVPN is perfectly fine and preferred. I was just wondering if I need another VPN provider to get an internet connection from the office (where I have these limitations, that don't let me use OpenVPN connections).

Thank you all for your answers!