Not connected, Your IP: 3.141.24.134
Sign in to follow this  
Weasel

Tor and AIRVPN and data mining (plus a suggestion)

Howdy;  I was doing some reading and I read a couple of articles that state that authorities could demand a VPN server so they could data mine it to try and time stamp (or whatever they do) a user. So even if using VPN over TOR or TOR over VPN they could show up with a demand and start doing forensics on a computer.  I normally just do TOR over VPN so they could, in theory, show up and say "gives us your server, here is the warrant", they I guess see the entry node and begin tracking (forgive my security lack of terminology and knowledge).  If I had gone to a server with a compromised exit node, and they came back to AIRVPN to server XXXX could they data mine it for my IP?

Question:  is this possible?  If so, how does AIRVPN protect from such a thing?

Suggestion:  when running VPN over TOR there is no way to know from the eddie client face if you have set it in your preferences.  More than once I have forgotten to change from automatic to TOR before surfing, is it possible to include some form of information on the face of the client, like three buttons, one reading VPN OVER TOR and TOR OVER VPN and VPN and whichever is in effect that button lights up?

Maybe a message CONNECTED TO XXXX server via VPN OVER TOR, TOR OVER VPN, or VPN instead of just CONNECTED TO?

VPN over Tor and Tor over VPN are just concepts. They are not protocols or standards, it's the combination of software

the user decides to chain, and their order.

It will be very hard for Eddie to detect if you are connecting over Tor. Unless some more code is added, and it has

to work on all 3 OSes. You will have to look in the proxy settings before you connect, and look for ports in the 9050-9060 ranges.

Tor over VPN is not a connection method, it's just a concept of using Tor (Browser or software, or both) when you are

already connected to VPN.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.