Not connected, Your IP: 3.149.233.62
Sign in to follow this  
CookieTreeEggHam

Cannot P2P on US Servers, CA works

EDIT: I've messed around with protocol options to test this and it seems Protocol TCP, 443 has fixed the issue for the specific server (haven't tested other US locations) in question.

Whenever I look at the server list, only Canada servers have any stars shown. The US servers however have no stars. I tried connecting to several US servers and it connects, but I cannot connect to any peers.

Has anyone encountered such a problem where CA = works perfectly but US = no go? Ports are forwarded properly and work on Canada. What do the stars even indicate? Is there a difference in the configuration of CA vs US?

The US servers have better latency but no stars. So there must be a restriction on the US servers? I noticed that if I try to connect via torrent, every peer and seed is dropped almost instantly. Is there a restriction on these servers? I cannot even update software that uses peer to peer. CA is OK however.

As far as I know, AirVPN imposes no restrictions. However, things have gotten so bad here in the states that I would not put it past upstream peering networks to interfere. Some filesharing peers also block US IP addresses in the wake of the mass data snooping going on, as connecting to the US makes the connection subject to this. Some do it out of paranoia and some out of principle.

I personally would not use a US based server. I usually use Sweden due to EU privacy laws and their stance on copyright and can max out my connection despite pings. My backup is Romania for the same reasons. AirVPN can be trusted, but can server hosts, the government, and upstream peers in the US be trusted? I think not. I say this as a US citizen, sadly. We have the same government that compromised Tor. Best hackers corrupt money can buy.

Use UDP and configure it properly and speed loss to the higher pings shouldn't be much as acknowlegement and checksum is not required for UDP. I get not so great speeds to some countries with TCP but great speeds with UDP. Romania is a prime example.

It's not AirVPN or upstream peering. It's the trackers the torrent you are downloading uses. They are blocking the AirVPN server IP address from connecting to any peers. I have been told by AirVPN staff and other users that this can be solved by enabling the DHT feature found in your bittorrent client settings. However, after multiply attempts I have not been able to get this to work. Unfortunatley you are stuck using P2P on non U.S. servers.