Not connected, Your IP: 18.223.0.53
polta

Running the VPN-Client inside a VM with Linux

Hello,

Since I dont want all my Internet traffic go trough the VPN (Because of Games having higher ping and other reasons),

I was thinking about setting up a VM with Linux on my PC.

I never used a VM und Linux so i have a few questions.

1. Which Linux-ISO should I use ?

2. Can I save Files downloaded inside the VM on my Hard Drive ?

3. If I get an Trojan or something similar inside the VM, can i reset it back ?

4. Is there anything else I need to set up ?

Sorry for my Bad English and I hope you guys can help me out.

1) Mint 17.x is easy to use for Linux beginners

2) Yes.  I suggest you use VirtualBox as your VM type.  Creating shared folders (shared between the host and guest OS) is easy in the VirtualBox settings for the VM.  In the guest OS you'll find the shared folders in /media

3) In VirtualBox you can create snapshots of your VM in a healthy state and use that snapshot if you have problems later.

4) To bypass the VPN running on your host OS you'll need to setup the network type for the linux guest as bridged adapter in the "attached to" setting.  NAT is default.

The way you are starting is a very basic approach, and it has limitations for security.  If you are wanting to simply surf around using a vpn it might be OK but bear in mind there are flaws with using "private" internet on the same partition as semi-public gaming.   Might I suggest that you grab 75-100 Gig out of your  hard drive and setup Linux as a bare metal standalone OS.  You would simply boot Linux instead of Windows and since the Win OS is "cold" and hopefully locked down with encryption as well, ONLY linux is running and you can much better keep things isolated.  Even better is that you can add those linux VM's you are talking about to the bare metal linux host and make it all the better.  Just something to think about.