Not connected, Your IP: 54.81.33.119
thorntonreed

Is the fact that I'm using a vpn (specifically AirVPN) viewable to my ISP? I want it to be hidden!

Hi there!

Imagine a scenario in which one is in a country in which it is illegal to use a VPN.

In this scenario, the ideal solution for would be to use a VPN or method in conjunction with the VPN that conceals the fact that one is being used.

Is this a service that AirVPN offers?

How does one implement this, if possible?
Is it automatically a part of the setup/deal?

If it's not possible using AirVPN alone, how does one go about making this possible?

Many thanks!

OpenVPN by itself, has a signature and behavior that is possible to detect using Deep Packet Inspection.

You can obfuscate the fact that you are using a VPN by using SSL/SSH connection methods.

But that will not stop a really determined adversary from knowing you are doing it for VPN reasons.

In case you are routing the majority of your traffic to a specific number of the same IP addresses, the

usage of some kind of a tunneling is very noticeable.

If you live in a place where it is really illegal to use VPN, in terms of physical safety, I suggest you do

the research first, before using any kind of VPN.

Test it in a public place which is not directly linked to you and see that SSL/SSH methods are working correctly.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I believe SSL/SSH connection methods are available with AirVPN- is this correct?

When you say about routing to the same IP addresses- I assume I could somewhat get around that (or make it less obvious) by periodically disconnecting and reconnecting to a different server?

The country in question is the UAE, so if any of you have any informed knowledge about the deal there in particular that would be helpful!
Having done as much research as I can about it, it seems to be one of those places where most expats simply get any old vpn their mates recommend, and don't really worry about it.
I think most people don't get caught (I've not found any articles relating to people caught for it), and it seems (perhaps until recently at least!) that it's mostly been a grey area, and one in which the laws are ambiguous.

However, I have come across some recent articles that state VPN use is now illegal.

Whether they enforce anything, or really put any efforts into searching for perpetrators, is another thing entirely!

Switching server every hour or whatever and using SSL is my recommendation if you decide to try and evade detection, but please note that SSL has the most overhead, but on higher speed lines this makes minimal difference.

EDIT: If I had to guess, they don't really enforce it, but please do your research and don't take my guess as truth.