Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.162.247
Sign in to follow this  
hdloader11

Problem with the speed while torrenting

My download speed-browsing speed etc. are same when I use airvpn compared to without using it. However I just realized that there is a significant decrease in speed when I am torrenting files over the vpn. Usually my speed is around 1mb/s using deluge, however it drops down to about 400kb/s when I'm connected to airvpn. I am assuming this is due to my ISP throttling default airvpn port or something of the sort, however I don't know the solution to this. Thanks for your help in advance folks.

Hi there,

if your ISP throttles for any reason, you can try connecting over SSL or SSH. Just change the corresponding settings in the Eddie Client in the "protocol" section.

If you don't get things to work in the end, you can try switching to a different torrent client, i warmly recommend qBittorrent, the best client IMO.

I also had speed problems while using utorrent and Deluge. Since i switched to qBittorrent, i have great speeds. Be sure to disable / delete  trackers, just use DHT and PEX.

Regards,

Fox & Dana

I was having similar issues as 'hdloader' and feels like the problems came out of nowhere. I'm using the 2.10.3 client with utorrent..Can't say i had issues like this ever before. Can charter internet throttle even though you are connected through the VPN? SSL tunnel didn't work..Only thing that worked was the SSH tunnel on Port 22. It's strange cause i never had issues before with this client and or the servers.Gonna see what qBittorrent is like. Ty

I had similar problems today, a new pc so everything was installed fresh. Without VPN the utorrent was fast, over 4MB/s, but with VPN the speed went down to 1MB/s for a few minutes and then to 10-80KB. I had try a lot of things but it started to work again after a few hours of working. I advise to try the following:

1. Uninstall AIRVPN and TAPWindows

2. Restart your PC

3. Download the latest version from the site for your system and install (I am using Windows Server 2012 R2 so I got the Windows 8/10 version )

4. Find out your internet speed using a test site like http://www.speedtest.net/

5. Download and start SG TCP Optimizer http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

6. Set your internet speed, select Optimal in first tab, apply changes, restart. Do the same in the second tab and restart again

7. Start AirVpn, block then go to Preferences -> Protocols -> Select SSL Tunnel Port 443 -> Save -> Close then connect to a server close to your city

8. Go to https://airvpn.org/speedtest/ and run the test, keep the AirVPN Overview also visible, during "Out-Tunnel Speed" you should see almost no traffic, during the "In-Tunnel Speed" you will see traffic also in  AirVPN Overview (the number don't match because one is in Mb and one in MB, keep in mind only the number from AirVPN Overview )

9. Start utorrent and after max 1 min you should have the same speed as during test. (I tested with a torrent from DE because I use a server from DE: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html)

What I did also, but don't know if is important:

1. I disable the firewall in the router (I have a new one from UPC Austria)

2. I did a port forward in the router for 443 for my pc with AirVPN (but DO NOT do the same on airvpn site)

I manage to get a speed bigger than during the test so hope this can help you also.