Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.22.244
snaggle

Add Eddie Icon to Gnome dock

Hi all,

I would like to make an icon to start the client and add it to my Gnome dock.

At present I find the extracted airvpn folder then click on the executable airvpn icon within the folder.

I'm running Gnome 3.16 on Arch linux, I know this is something I should be able to do but I'm having a mental block or something

Help muchly apreciated.

Just right click anywhere in that panel - and add a new item which will be the AirVPN binary.

Then you can assign any icon to it.

I don't have Gnome here to provide a screenshot, but in case it will not work I am sure some member can upload one.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Just right click anywhere in that panel - and add a new item which will be the AirVPN binary.

Then you can assign any icon to it.

I don't have Gnome here to provide a screenshot, but in case it will not work I am sure some member can upload one.

Hi and thanks for the response,

I'm using Dash to dock https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/307/dash-to-dock/

Right clicking doesn't work here. To add items I drag and drop but I can't get the Air executable to stick.

I just tried both right clicking and dragging and dropping to simple dock also https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/815/simple-dock/

still no joy.

I've had my fair share of battles with GNOME Dash and other docks like Plank.
Usually, all you have to do is right-click the icon and "Add to favorites" / "Keep in dock".
This option is missing for many "non-native" (Java, Mono) applications.
You can add Eddie to Dash if you do it like this:

Kbb2Bfa.jpg

But it doesn't work properly, you're going to end up with two separate icons:

UkO0dty.jpg

It appears that docks have a hard time figuring out which Java/Mono windows belong to what application.
This often happens if the "WM_CLASS" property is different from the application's name.
I'll use the application "Android Studio" as an example.
Using the xprop tool, I find out:
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "sun-awt-X11-XFramePeer", "jetbrains-studio"

If I add the following line to the Android Studio's .desktop file ...

StartupWMClass=jetbrains-studio

... the GNOME window manager / dock will be able to correctly detect running instances and map them to the app's icon.

When I try this workaround with Eddie, "xprop" is unable to find the "WM_CLASS" property for the running Eddie instance. It is missing!
This is a common issue for Mono applications and would require Air's coders to write some C# to set the WM_CLASS.

Probably something along those lines. I've opened an issue on Github to let them know.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

I've had my fair share of battles with GNOME Dash and other docks like Plank.

Usually, all you have to do is right-click the icon and "Add to favorites" / "Keep in dock".

This option is missing for many "non-native" (Java, Mono) applications.

You can add Eddie to Dash if you do it like this:

Kbb2Bfa.jpg

But it doesn't work properly, you're going to end up with two separate icons:

UkO0dty.jpg

It appears that docks have a hard time figuring out which Java/Mono windows belong to what application.

This often happens if the "WM_CLASS" property is different from the application's name.

I'll use the application "Android Studio" as an example.

Using the xprop tool, I find out:

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "sun-awt-X11-XFramePeer", "jetbrains-studio"

If I add the following line to the Android Studio's .desktop file ...

StartupWMClass=jetbrains-studio

... the GNOME window manager / dock will be able to correctly detect running instances and map them to the app's icon.

When I try this workaround with Eddie, "xprop" is unable to find the "WM_CLASS" property for the running Eddie instance. It is missing!

This is a common issue for Mono applications and would require Air's coders to write some C# to set the WM_CLASS.

Probably something along those lines. I've opened an issue on Github to let them know.

Hi and thanks for your time,

I don't appear to even have the Airvpn icon - and when I search Airvpn still no icon. I recall seeing it in previous versions (of Gnome I think). As you can see I have an icon in the dock indicating Eddie is running but no option to add to favourites. It seems your explanation regarding mono is in play here and I may have to wait.w2qbj2S.pngqyWija8.png

pMNaRPJ.png

Create an AirVPN.desktop file like this

​To get a menu item for your compiled portable version, create a text file called AirVPN.desktop and place it in ~/.local/share/applications/ or: /usr/share/applications/ Here are the contents of AirVPN.desktop as it is found in the Git repo (resources/debian/usr/share/applications/AirVPN.desktop) [Desktop Entry] Name=AirVPN Comment=AirVPN Exec=/usr/bin/airvpn Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/AirVPN.png Terminal=false Type=Application Categories=GNOME;Network You would only need to change Exec= and Icon= to your custom paths. The icon AirVPN.png can also be found in your cloned Git repo, resources/debian/usr/share/pixmaps/AirVPN.png

​Hi and big thanks ​ This worked as advertised. Another great addition to the Airvpn knowledge base.Mh6I7Vc.png