Not connected, Your IP: 3.137.174.216
karla57

New user: Very slow with AirVPN OK without - HELP!

Hi

I have been using AirVPN for a couple of weeks, but cannot seem to get any useful speeds.

Without the VPN I can download at around a max of 1mb/s (which isnt great, but useable)

With Air VPN on I only get 5-10kbs

I am using qBitorent (have also used uTorrent - same results)

I dont seem to be able to align the settings correctly.

I am totally confused over port forwarding etc.  I have the AirVPN protocols set to automatic and qBitorrent set to random ports, otherwise everything is default

Have attached a log file which may help diagnose issues. 

Hope someone out there can help me - any more info needed, please ask

(ISP Andrews and Arnold - claim to be open and unrestricted without filters)

Thanks

AirVPN_20150628_135658.txt

You need to go to the client area tab on this site, then click on "forwarded ports", then click on the green plus sign which says "add" and take note of the number it generates. Then you go to qbittorrent and click tools -> options -> connection and then enter that number in the "port used for incoming connections" field. Also make sure you untick the two boxes beneath it if they are ticked! First box is "use uPnP etc." and the second is "use different ports etc." Restart qBittorrent and start a torrent, the formerly yellow light at the bottom of the client (the circle after DHT nodes) should turn green almost instantly but give it some time since it seems to be slow on certain systems. If it does your port forwarding now works. 

I too get consistently abysmal speeds when port forwarding isn't enabled so if you do this correctly it might fix the problem

You don't want random ports,whatever number port you have forwarded in Air add to your client and save it.

Hi

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have followed the instructions, but the speed difference is still there. 

With random port I got 884KBs download without AirVPN

With AirVPN and port forwarded as per instructions still only getting 26KBs max

AirVPN General overview download 2-16KBs Upload 6KBs

These figures were taken within a minute or so of each other on the same torrent, so that should not be an issue

The yellow connection icon at the bottom of qBittorrent is always yellow, whatever the connection.

There must still be a configuration setting I am missing.  Would welcome any further ideas.

I have attached some small screen shots of the AirVPN and lower section of qBitorrent

Hi

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have followed the instructions, but the speed difference is still there. 

These figures were taken within a minute or so of each other on the same torrent, so that should not be an issue

The yellow connection icon at the bottom of qBittorrent is always yellow, whatever the connection.

There must still be a configuration setting I am missing.  Would welcome any further ideas.

I have attached some small screen shots of the AirVPN and lower section of qBitorrent

I am at a loss then. If you followed all my instructions the light should have turned green, which means you now accept incoming connections and port forwarding works. If it actually stays yellow after doing this it sounds like something you have to take up directly with AIr through a support ticket unless someone else on here have experienced this before and know what the problem might be. It definitely should have worked.

Hi

OK, I have one more idea for you - maybe you haven't added qBittorrent to bypass your firewall so it blocks incoming connections for you, giving you the yellow light. When you install qBittorrent it should ask about being added to firewall exceptions or something like that, make sure you accept that. You can uninstall it and reinstall it to get that message. You can of course just add the exceptions manually, if you know how to do that. If you run additional firewalls from security software I assume you must add exceptions to those as well, I don't know if qBittorrent does that automatically or not - but you should only run one software firewall at the time anyway.

Incorrect network interface binding may also cause this issue in qBittorrent (I know this from personal testing), but since you haven't messed around with qBittorrent settings this shouldn't be an issue here - it's not really a setting that gets changed accidentally.

Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I now have a green button and good downloads!

I took all the advice on board, and checked other posts, then unistalled all airvpn stuff and reinstalled the older version.

Port forewarded as instructed, included port in qBiTorrent

Checked and edited torrent firewall settings

Now seems to work fine.

Will experiement with later versions again now I know how to get a working model

Thanks to evreyone for helpful suggestions.