Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.77.71
Sign in to follow this  
askme

DNS leak on Ubuntu

Hello,

so i use the airvpn client on ubuntu, i use the renaming method(i still have dns leak everytime with resolvconf)

i always keep open a page on my browser that check my ip, dns etc...

and most of time the only dns server that i see are the VPN dns(same ip), but sometimes for fews seconds i saw others unknown dns server IP, most of time from US, and now it even come from UK or other country...

Is it possible that an attacker cause this???i know that some people(really skilled and competent people) could try for some reason... but i don't really know if it's possible

how to solve this?

thanks you

In the airvpn client do you have 'Force dns' on? Its in the advanced settings I believe.

The "Force DNS" switch is for Windows only.  Linux has a global DNS concept that doesn't necessitate this feature.

Though I am also having potential leak issues with Linux Mint (an Ubunut derivative) and posted a separate thread.

In the airvpn client do you have 'Force dns' on? Its in the advanced settings I believe.

The "Force DNS" switch is for Windows only.  Linux has a global DNS concept that doesn't necessitate this feature.

Though I am also having potential leak issues with Linux Mint (an Ubunut derivative) and posted a separate thread.

There's a similar option via the client for linux. As mentioned in that other thread.

It would be nice if there was a big fat button at the top of the forums called "Air Client Setup" with sub sections per os.

Then anyone insistant on using a gui could be directed there.

The setting being referred to the DNS Switch Mode.  I have no idea what the Force DNS setting does on Windows, so I can't comment on it's similarity.

I fixed my DNS leak issue by using the "Renaming" setting (Preferences/Advanced/General).  This will make a new, temporary resolv.conf file that has *only* the AirVPN nameserver in it.  For some reason, the other settings in DNS Switch mode will leave the default nameserver in the list, resulting in a leak.  At least that is my experience with Linux Mint 17.1 (based on Ubuntu 14.04).