Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.253.161
Sign in to follow this  
hashswag

Router port forwarding while using Eddie

Environment:

FiOS 75/75

Asus RT-AC68R w/Tomato Shibby (latest)

PC running Linux Mint 17.1

I have Eddie (2.8.8) running on Linux.  Network Lock is Inactive.  When connected to the VPN, I am unable to port forward things on the router to the Linux box.  For example, I would like to port forward port 7474 on my ISP supplied public IP to port 22 on my Linux box (for direct ssh access).  In Tomato, it's very easy, and when the VPN is not active, it works fine.  When the VPN is active, the forward does not work.  I am using putty on a system outside my home network.

If I log into the router directly (via ssh), and then ssh to the Linux PC (directly on port 22), it works fine regards of the VPN being up or not.

Question:  Why is Port Forwarding in the router not working when connecting from outside the network while the VPN is connected on the Linux PC?

The VPN is *not* running on the router, so the connection to the router is not affected when the VPN is up or not.

Updating with a little more info.

On Windows, it works fine.  Meaning, I can be connected to AirVPN using Eddie, and still ssh into the Windows system from outside the network using port forwarding on the router and using my ISP-supplied IP address.

This appears isolated to Linux (at least for me).

One more thing I noticed.  If I am connected via ssh using my ISP supplied IP and a router port forward to my Linux system, and *then* connect to AirVPN via Eddie, my ssh window virtually disconnects (hitting enter in the window does nothing).

Hi there,

I have the exact same problem. It must be a linux setting, since it works fine under windows. There must be a policy setting that prevents access from the outside while the VPN is up, but my linux skills are unfortunately not good enough.

I posted the same question here: https://superuser.com/questions/886956/vpn-connected-computer-does-not-accept-ports-forwarded-by-router and here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=180431

but have so far not received an answer.

Kind regards