Not connected, Your IP: 18.216.123.120

Hi Guys,

Before I start please forgive these questions if they are noobish and obvious, I am very new to all this and had some questions that I would really appreciate your help and answers. I did search for the answers, but I am unsure if I am reading the right stuff and searching correctly, so please forgive if they have already been posted elsewhere. My questions are as follows:

1. It seems that my connection is being throttled via the standard udp port of 443. The speed goes up dramatically if I pick another port or SSH or SSL. I was wondering if seeing port 443 is being throttled if I use the others will it only be a short while before the others are throttled? I am with british telecom btw.
  2. Is SSH and SSL as safe and as encrypted as the standard automatic protocol?
  3. I use SSH and SSL connections for my FTP, if I browse via these protocols am I liable to highlight these ports and get these throttled to? Obviously I would not like to do this or am I just being too over-cautious?

Again please forgive my noobishness, but I thought I would ask people who know rather than worrying about it.

Staff - fantastic VPN btw, I am really enjoying my service with you guys.

All the best,

p4n66

1) SSH and SSL use common ports so it's unlikely  they'll be throttled.  They are probably throttling you based on deep packet inspection (DPI), not an overall throttle of the port.  DPI is able distinguish an openvpn connection but they cannot see the encrypted payload.

2) SSH and SSL tunnels trick DPI becase they look like SSL or SSH, not openvpn.  Here you have an openvpn tunnel inside an SSH or SSL tunnel, so they are certainly as safe and encrypted.