Not connected, Your IP: 3.140.198.43
Sign in to follow this  
__Z33__

Huge bandwith drop with non-German servers

Hi everyone,

I was using AirVPN for a few months last year, but I just recently renewed my subscription after it expired somewhere in October. Back last year I regularly used some of the Netherlands servers which provided great bandwidth with no drop off at all. My ISP allocated bandwidth is 10 Mbps. So I was really surprised to see my download speeds drop to about 1,5 Mbps when connected to Netherlands servers like Taygeta, Nekkar etc. I tried some others like Romania, Ukraine, Switzerland but all of them with same problem. 

After reading through the forums here I thought there could be some kind of speed cap from my ISP, which itself would have been quite unbelievable considering the country I live in. So of course I tried with different ports, even activating the SSL or SSH but none of them changed anything.

Then suddenly I test the speeds with a German server (Seginus) only to find out it reaches around 9,5 Mbps which is reasonable. Other German servers were up there more or less (9-9,5 Mbps). After that I also tried some others (not all of them, just a few more from Europe) and the only one which gives me a reasonable download speed is the Spain server (9,2 Mbps).

Can someone give an idea what is wrong here? I thought there is a 4 Mbps minimum bandwidth limit from any server, but currently I feel like 90% of the servers give me under 4 Mpbs.

Thanks!

ok, well even if you live in "good" country your isp or any other isp involved in delivering the data might priorities different ports or protocols so that wont rule that problem out.

for example i get at least 2% packet loss and therefore also get slower transfer speed no matter the server when i use udp and connect to port 443.

if i connect to port 53 instead i usually only get about 0.2 packet loss.

my recommendation for you is that begin to try different configuration options.

i would recommend beginning testing with udp and test all the available ports with different servers around Europe if thats where your connection from (not only the nl ones since the problem might lie there).

if that doesn't help try tcp as well

also try during different times of the day since some pipes might be overloaded during certain periods for example its usual that they get overloaded during evenings and the weekends.