Not connected, Your IP: 18.223.106.232
vxcalais

Can you load AirVPN automatically in Linux Mint 17?

Hi,

1) Each time i start up my computer I need to manually load the AirVPN 2.7 Client and input my log in details regardless of saving them or not. Any way to fix this ?

Also

2) Is it true that Linux has to DNS leaks ? When I run IPLEAK it never shows a leak, but when I run DNS leak test extended mode, it shows my actual IP address along with the VPN Ip. When using Mullvad i could check a box to stop DNS leak on their client program. Can this be stopped with Air VPN ?

Thanks.

Answer to question 1)

There are two different types of credentials:
- your AirVPN account / password (the client is able to save these credentials)
- your Mint user account password (the client can't save this password. Every time you launch the client, it needs to ask the OS for root privileges)

If you want to launch the client automatically on system boot, add it to Mint's autostart list (but you'd still have to enter your sudo password).

If you want to run the client without having to enter your sudo password, that's possible too (but slightly tricky if you're totally unfamiliar with the process).

I've already detailed both of these procedures with screenshots / commands in another thread:
https://airvpn.org/topic/12797-from-windows-7-to-linux-problem/

Answer to question 2)

Linux uses the /etc/resolv.conf file which contains all DNS servers that the system may use. If it contains any other than AirVPN servers (which have IPs like 10.X.0.X), that would be the cause of your leaks. The AirVPN client offers options to manage the resolv.conf file, check the client menu, "Advanced" section.
To see if it did its job, connect to AirVPN and then check the contents of the /etc/resolv.conf file.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

Wow, great response sheivako. Much appreciated. I will give that a go. The reason I wanted the auto login is for some reason my settings aren't saving in the client program. MIght try resinstalling and seeing what happens.

I will aslo also give that info a try on the DNS. I initially ticked all those boxes, selected network lock to auto etc and seems to have stopped it most times.