Not connected, Your IP: 18.232.62.134
Sign in to follow this  
chanukah-lambkin

Understanding VPN Port Forwards & Air DNS Service

Hi,

I'd like to be connected to a VPN all the time, but on the other hand want to expose some services to the WAN. My current Setup is follows

NAS      -->    Asus Router running OpenVPN Client with Port Fwds to NAS --> ISP Router/Modem with Asus Router in DMZ -->           Air VPN                  ---/ /--> WAN
192.168.2.2                         192.168.2.1                                   Local: 192.168.1.1 / WAN: 88.88.22.88         Public WAN VPN Shared IP: 66.66.22.66

Now for example I want to expose a Service on my NAS running on 443/https (TCP)

Without considering VPN:

• Request to 88.88.22.88:443
  • ISP Router has Asus Router in DMZ so everything will be forwarded to 192.168.2.1
  • Asus Router has a Port Fwd. Rule for Port 443 -> 192.168.2.2
  • NAS responses to request

With VPN and VPN Port Forwarding:

• Find out whats my public ip (eg. 66.66.22.66)
  • Set a port foward in Air VPN Config from e.g. 2048 to 443 (TCP)
  • So for public request I need to use url: 66.66.22.66:2048 which will be resolved to 88.88.22.88:443 and the same happens as described above

With VPN and AirVPN DynDNS:

• Set a port foward in Air VPN Config from e.g. 2048 to 443 (TCP) and DynDNS Name "myservice"
  • Wait at least 1h
  • request to myservice.airdns.org should dynamically resolve to 66.66.22.66:2048 in this instance which resolves to 88.88.22.88:443 and the same happens as described above

No the problem is this does not seem to work. Please enlighten me if Im thinking wrong here. I pretty sure my setup is ok from the ISP router on since it worked before VPN, also in the AirVPN Port Fwd config I get a green light for at least 1 of my port fwds (not sure why that exactly)

Edit: Ok from what I understand the UI Port Fwd only affects income WAN request NOT incomming VPN request (see here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=642122) so I need to manually add iptables rules for vpn (tun1) port forwarding