Not connected, Your IP: 3.215.183.194

Hello All,

If anyone could help with configuring Viscosity with airvpn on Mavericks 10.9.3 . I would be greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance,

Solex1

Hello rainmakerraw,

Thank you for you many replies rainmakerraw.  Basically I need to know how you configured Viscosty on Mavericks 10.9.3,  I'm asking about your setting to not have any DNS leaks. step by step guide would be quite helpful as i never used Viscosty before.  I'm an Advanced User so i just need to know the basics. Many Many Thanks in Advances rainmakerraw.

Kind Regards,

Solex1 

Hello rainmakerraw,

Thank you for you many replies rainmakerraw.  Basically I need to know how you configured Viscosty on Mavericks 10.9.3,  I'm asking about your setting to not have any DNS leaks. step by step guide would be quite helpful as i never used Viscosty before.  I'm an Advanced User so i just need to know the basics. Many Many Thanks in Advances rainmakerraw.

Kind Regards,

Solex1 

DNS leaks are a Windows problem. Mac OS X, BSD and Linux will just use the DNS servers you instruct them to. There are still a few things you can do to help keep yourself safe.

For example, I have my pfSense router/firewall set to use OpenDNS by default (and block my ISP DNS).

Also, in Mac OS X I go to System Preferences > Network > [interface name] > Advanced > DNS to also set OpenDNS so that the machine won't default to ISP DNS when roaming on strange wifi networks. I have a MacBook Pro so obviously use wifi networks and have to use normal DNS/internet to resolve and connect to AirVPN. 

Then finally in Viscosity I highlight the server connection/profile (e.g. Netherlands) and then hit Edit (bottom right of the Viscosity window). If you then go to Networking there are two options you should check: Send all traffic over VPN connection, and DNS support. The latter (DNS support) can have its fields left blank, but this basically tells Viscosity to pull the DNS supplied by AirVPN when you connect (thus using AirVPN for your DNS resolution was well as traffic). 

8qeHf.png

I hope this all makes sense, it's 2.18am here and I'm kinda tired. If you need me to explain anything further please post back and I'll reply tomorrow. 

What exactly do you need help with? I'll help if I can but I'm no expert. I do run Viscosity (and Tunnelblick) on OS X.

Would you recommend Viscosity?  I saw that a free trial was available, but I was curious if you favored viscosity over tunnelblick or vice versa.

What exactly do you need help with? I'll help if I can but I'm no expert. I do run Viscosity (and Tunnelblick) on OS X.

Would you recommend Viscosity?  I saw that a free trial was available, but I was curious if you favored viscosity over tunnelblick or vice versa.

It's difficult to give a straight answer. Personally I much prefer Tunnelblick, not least of which because it's open source. However, Viscosity has a slightly nicer connection graph and GUI (if you care for that). More importantly, perhaps, Viscosity is updated much, much faster.

For example there have been OpenSSL bugs disclosed on two separate days this week and Viscosity released new versions of the app on both days. Very fast patching! Tunnelblick, on the other hand, still hasn't updated even once and is still therefore vulnerable to both sets of exploits. As such I have stuck with Viscosity for now and would suggest you do the same, even if it's only a trial.