Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.109.4
d15ea5ed

Gargoyle router AirVPN problem and how to fix it.

I ran into a minor issue when setting up AirVPN on my Gargoyle (OpenWRT) based router, so I figured I'd share what I did to fix it in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

It took me a while to figure out, because the web UI didn't really give a clear description of the problem but after trying to run openvpn manually over ssh i got the message:
"Options error: Unrecognized option or missing parameter(s) in AirVPN.ovpn:17: explicit-exit-notify (2.2.2)"

So once i had a clear error message the solution was pretty simple, just remove the explicit-exit-notify line from the config. From what i understand (Please let me know if I'm wrong) this line isn't needed anyway because gargoyle has a built in firewall option to block all non-vpn traffic.

Screen shot of gargoyle openvpn config page after fixing: http://i.imgur.com/Atg6Be0.png

--explicit-exit-notify [n] In UDP client mode or point-to-point mode, send server/peer an exit notification if tunnel is restarted or OpenVPN process is exited. In client mode, on exit/restart, this option will tell the server to immediately close its client instance object rather than waiting for a timeout. The n parameter (default=1) controls the maximum number of attempts that the client will try to resend the exit notification message. OpenVPN will not send any exit notifications unless this option is enabled.

Not critical.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I ran into a minor issue when setting up AirVPN on my Gargoyle (OpenWRT) based router, so I figured I'd share what I did to fix it in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

It took me a while to figure out, because the web UI didn't really give a clear description of the problem but after trying to run openvpn manually over ssh i got the message:

"Options error: Unrecognized option or missing parameter(s) in AirVPN.ovpn:17: explicit-exit-notify (2.2.2)"

So once i had a clear error message the solution was pretty simple, just remove the explicit-exit-notify line from the config. From what i understand (Please let me know if I'm wrong) this line isn't needed anyway because gargoyle has a built in firewall option to block all non-vpn traffic.

Screen shot of gargoyle openvpn config page after fixing: http://i.imgur.com/Atg6Be0.png

Hey Mods, I just answered in another thread with the exact same answer. You guys can disregard that post and or delete.

I have ASUS Dsl-AC68U router

I get an error when setting up openvpn udp "Options error: --explicit-exit-notify can only be used with --proto udp", and when i remove "explicit-exit-notify" line from the config still didn't work either and here is the log:

Nov 17 18:34:09 rc_service: httpd 447:notify_rc restart_vpncall
Nov 17 18:34:11 openvpn[12870]: OpenVPN 2.3.2 arm-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL] [eurephia] [MH] [IPv6] built on Oct 27 2015
Nov 17 18:34:11 openvpn[12870]: Control Channel Authentication: using 'static.key' as a OpenVPN static key file
Nov 17 18:34:11 openvpn[12870]: Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 512 bit message hash 'SHA512' for HMAC authentication
Nov 17 18:34:11 openvpn[12870]: Incoming Control Channel Authentication: Using 512 bit message hash 'SHA512' for HMAC authentication
Nov 17 18:34:11 openvpn[12870]: Socket Buffers: R=[87380->131072] S=[16384->131072]
Nov 17 18:34:11 openvpn[12875]: Attempting to establish TCP connection with [AF_INET]108.61.6.84:118 [nonblock]
Nov 17 18:34:12 openvpn[12875]: TCP: connect to [AF_INET]108.61.6.84:118 failed, will try again in 5 seconds: Connection refused
Nov 17 18:34:18 openvpn[12875]: TCP: connect to [AF_INET]108.61.6.84:118 failed, will try again in 5 seconds: Connection refused
Nov 17 18:34:24 openvpn[12875]: TCP: connect to [AF_INET]108.61.6.84:118 failed, will try again in 5 seconds: Connection refused

Thanks.