Photo

TAP/TUN Interface won't come up

Error TAP Error

Best Answer Substandard IQ, 26 October 2018 - 02:24 AM

Basically I had no idea what was wrong with my TAP adapter but I knew it was software related. So I just reset all of my NICs. This seems to have corrected my issue

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Substandard IQ

Substandard IQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 12:19 AM

I am attempting to run Eddie the AirVPN client on my Server 2016 box.

I have tried version 2.17.2, 2.16.3, 2.15.2, 2.13.6

Each version exhibits the same symptoms, the logs show the TAP Adapter is not launching correctly.

. 2018.10.24 18:49:26 - Eddie Windows Interface Hack executed (Ethernet 3)
. 2018.10.24 18:49:27 - OpenVPN > TEST ROUTES: 0/0 succeeded len=-1 ret=0 a=0 u/d=down
. 2018.10.24 18:49:27 - OpenVPN > Route: Waiting for TUN/TAP interface to come up..

It will loop this error over and over again until it gives up.

I have tried uninstalling the TAP drivers and reinstalling them. I have tried uninstalling the client and TAP drivers and rebooting. I have tried multiple versions of the client. I have tried using IPv4 only in Eddie, my NICs, and the TAP NIC.

However I can get the tunnel to complete by disabling the TAP adapter ahead of time. The client will force a re-installation of the driver and the tunnel will connect. However I have not internet access even though the tunnel is active, it's like the network locking component is in place like it should be but I can't seem to transmit my traffic through the VPN tunnel.

I am out of ideas so I will post my logs here. (Logs Retracted)

I have also tried setting the TAP adapter to always be on.

I will attach some of the more advanced debugging logs. (Logs Retracted)

If anybody can notice anything I am missing, I would appreciate it.

Edited by Substandard IQ, 26 October 2018 - 02:22 AM.

#2 Substandard IQ

Substandard IQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 02:24 AM   Best Answer

Basically I had no idea what was wrong with my TAP adapter but I knew it was software related. So I just reset all of my NICs. This seems to have corrected my issue

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset