Not connected, Your IP: 54.234.184.8
Sign in to follow this  
colorman

Eddie on openSUSE Linux Leap 15 or Tumbleweed

I have an Eddie closing problem on Leap 15 and before that also on Tumbleweed.
Today completely new installation done, but the problem remains.
If I forget about the vpn connection and then want to close Eddie, Eddie will stay open, it depends on the shutdown.
This morning (Tumbleweed) I could no longer get an internet connection after restarting, completely blocked.
Have no idea if it is in openSUSE or in Eddie, it is annoying.
Are you curious about other openSUSE users?

Last line off logfile:

! 2018.07.25 13:37:56 - Session terminated.
. 2018.07.25 13:38:01 - Shutdown in progress

edit 18:30;

back to version 2.13.6 of Eddie.
at the moment it seems that this version does not have the closing problem of Eddie!
will look further in the coming days to see if it is true.

With Eddie version 2.13.6 no more problem.
So it seems that all versions afterwards have a problem with shutdown.
I will stay with Eddie 2.13.6 for the time being, and hope that the bug in the later versions, can be solved.

Yes, same to me!

(Just about to open a new thread, than saw this.)

Used on openSUSE Leap 15 and Tumbleweed.

Eddie 2.15.2 was initially installed in a normal user account (without root privileges) without error messages (first I imported the maintainer key for validating signature). Completely new openSUSE installation.
Eddie starts and works so far.
But as soon as you try to quit the program by clicking on the X, the program partially freezes. It cannot close and does not continue to react if you still have an active connection at this time, it remains active and can no longer be disconnected. On the left side I can still navigate through the menu entries. Well, Eddie's obviously not completely frozen.
It may work to close the program the very first time, but then not any more.

I had also logged in to openSUSE as root, the error did not occur with Eddie!

If I have a look to "logs", and then try to close Eddie, I can see "Shutdown in progress" as the last log entry - but the shutdown does not take place.

Another thing is, how can I get Eddie to reconnect to the last connected server after waking up from standby or hibernation?
Example: In my list of recommended servers I have a Swiss server and a Dutch one. Now I deliberately connect to the Swiss server. After waking up from standby, however, Eddie now decides that the Dutch server is more recommendable and automatically connects me to it.
The check mark "reconnect to last server at start" is set.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

No problems here with Eddie 2.15.2 on Leap 15.

Shutdown works no matter if there's an active connection or not.

Are you logged in as root? That's the way it worked for me. But not as a user with limited rights.

But anyway, I might try my luck with Manjaro!

This happens sometimes with me. Removing /usr/bin from the .desktop file seems to make it close? It makes no sense but it could be it.

Part of  the problem is that Eddie has to be run as root, which isn't recommended and is completely unsupported by wayland. Supposedly they're working on making it so that there's two processes like how the Mullvad does it, where there's the man GUI process not run as root, and then another run ran via SystemD that manages the connections.

This happens sometimes with me. Removing /usr/bin from the .desktop file seems to make it close? It makes no sense but it could be it.

I don't see a .desktop file?

Can you tell me more?

Thanks.

..Supposedly they're working on making it so that there's two processes like how the Mullvad does it, where there's the man GUI process not run as root, and then another run ran via SystemD that manages the connections.

Is there any indication as to when this might be implemented? I like AirVPN, but the client behaviour in OpenSUSE is not the best at the moment.

Posted ... (edited)

This is still an issue with 2.17.2 (running Tumbleweed)

I've tried 2.13.6 but get an error with network lock, so that's a no-go.

In the meanwhile, here are some workarounds for when this happens with the other versions.

These instructions are if you are using KDE, but should give you an idea of what to do if you're on a different DTE.

If you just tried to close Eddie because you want to use the Internet without the VPN, but it's now stuck:

1. Start KSysGuard (System Monitor) and on the Process Table tab search for "eddie"
  2. Look for the process "mono" running under "root"
  3. Right-click the entry > Send Signal > Kill [Even though Eddie is gone at this point, the VPN is still active because OpenVPN is still running.]
  4. Search for "openvpn" in System Monitor and end the process. You don't need to kill this process, though it might take a few seconds before it closes. At this point you have no network connectivity because while the VPN is now down, the network lock is still active. If you were to reboot at this point (or while Eddie was still stuck), you might still have not have network access because the network lock (firewall configuration) hasn't been reset after the reboot.
  5. Start Eddie and activate the network lock and then deactivate it. This resets your firewall settings to its defaults. To do this easily, you should configure Eddie so that "Connect at Startup" is unchecked, otherwise, you'll just log into the VPN again. Now you should have network access without the VPN.
Two things I haven't tried yet is seeing if the portable versions of Eddie (one with mono and the other without) always shut down properly.

Edit:
This happens with both portable versions of Eddie.

Edit 2:
Eddie only appears to freeze when you close it, so the best workaround is to simply leave it running and manually disconnect from the VPN and deactivate the network lock when you want your normal Internet connection (then manually activate and connect to the VPN later with the already running Eddie client if needed).

If you want to shut down Eddie, first disconnect and deactivate so that if it freezes, you only need to kill mono rather than both mono and openvpn.

If you want to log out or reboot, disconnect and deactivate before doing so - this way your normal Internet is restored at the start of your next session.

Edited ... by Ansuz
Added workarounds for living with the bug

I don't know if it makes a difference in diagnosing the issue, but this also happens without connecting to the VPN network.

An example of this:

I had the VPN up, tried closing it down but it got stuck. I planned on rebooting anyway, so instead of using the above procedure to shut the UI down, I just rebooted. When my system came back up, I started Eddie, engaged and disengaged the network lock to get normal Internet back, and left the UI open for a while doing other things. A few mins later I tried shutting Eddie down and it was stuck again. So the issue doesn't seem related to OpenVPN (this wasn't on in this case) or mono (since it also happens with the portable version without mono).

Having the same issue on tumbleweed with versions 2.16.3 and 2.17.2.
For 2.17.2 however the client does sometimes close after a while, but it takes very long and doesnt always happen