Not connected, Your IP: 3.141.24.134

Hi,

Firstly, apologies if this is a nieve question.  I generally connect to eddie with network lock, I know that it works and so on, and beyond that I'm not that familiair with the technicalities. 

When I need to use a program withouth the restriction of a vpn - usually a game - I simply disconnect.  The problem is sometimes I forget to reconnect to a server.

I notice you can add addresses (I guess these are IP's?) as exceptions in the network lock settings.  How would this work (if at all) for particular games that might want to connect to the internet?

Ideally, as the sole purpose of my vpn use is with firefox, is there any concievable way I might someone 'lock' eddie to firefox, so firefox wouldn't be able connect to web pages unless I'm connected through the vpn?

This would the simplest and best solution if possible.  Any ideas?

I notice you can add addresses (I guess these are IP's?) as exceptions in the network lock settings.  How would this work (if at all) for particular games that might want to connect to the internet?

Add all IP addresses of this game's servers as exclusion rules. Shitload of work which only works with smaller services comprised of a few servers and not a shit ton of them, whose domain names always resolve to the least reserved IP or depends on your geographic location, etc. etc. Many tried it with Google, Netflix, etc. Don't do it. Unless you are bored to death and don't want to die and also counted all the beans and peas in your household.

Ideally, as the sole purpose of my vpn use is with firefox, is there any concievable way I might someone 'lock' eddie to firefox, so firefox wouldn't be able connect to web pages unless I'm connected through the vpn?

Not with OpenVPN. There are a few ways which are more involved and depend on your OS. Most notably the VPN-only-for-torrenting thing which is explained in threads on the How-To forum.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Giganerd:

Just a question that may sound stupid, but wouldn’t it be possible to change the proxy or DNS settings (or any other settings) of Firefox in a way that Firefox will only work when connected to an AIR server?

@ BennyHiIl106:

Something that might be a workaround (though not perfect):

Under options:

Check “Start with Windows” (if you are using Windows).

Check “Activate Network Lock at startup”

Check “Don’t show bootstrap failure windows.”

Then, when want to connect without using AIR, just press “Decativate Network Lock” at the main window. The next time you start Eddie again, the Network Lock should be active again. This is not a complete solution but might help a bit at least.

Just a question that may sound stupid, but wouldn’t it be possible to change the proxy or DNS settings (or any other settings) of Firefox in a way that Firefox will only work when connected to an AIR server?

No, because OpenVPN adds system-wide routing rules. You can take a glance at them by opening a command prompt on Windows or a terminal on Linux and type in

route print

or on Linux

ip route

DNS only influences which server will translate airvpn.org for example to its machine-usable IP address. Traffic like the actual connection will flow according to the routing table.

A proxy does not interfere with routing as a whole and it would work for your purposes on its own. Paired with a VPN connection it stops mattering as this proxy connection will once again flow like any other traffic according to the routing table.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.