Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.93.210
Sign in to follow this  
7NP2sFzAN

China VPN crackdown

Was there a crackdown on VPNs in China a few days ago? I can't find anything on the topic, but all protocols, except for SSL stopped working.

I already switched to SSL on my phone too, I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything.

Sorry if it is off-topic (feel free to move the thread).

I heard some Chinese friends worry about that too. I've been using ssl protocol ever since, because all others were always unusably slow. I use astrill on my phone next to airvpn and it's still working. But I use astrills stealthvpn, not sure if it uses ssl.

Not a helpful post, but I wonder about that, too.

I am in China right know. Chinese government anounced a strikter VPN ban / firewall. They announced to implement these VPN counter techniques during January and February. I guess this happend last week. Since about 3 days most protocols are not working anymore (except ssl).

I am in China right know. Chinese government anounced a strikter VPN ban / firewall. They announced to implement these VPN counter techniques during January and February. I guess this happend last week. Since about 3 days most protocols are not working anymore (except ssl).

I was under the impression this was always the case in China, and that only SSL/SSH or Tor obfuscation could get through.

This is not a new issue indeed, every now and then new rules are being added to the GFW which break OpenVPN on various ports and protocols.

There are no known issues with connecting via SSL/SSH tunnels, also for other countries like Russia and Iran.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Its always a rollercoaster with the GCFW (chinese firewall). But the last year, no SSL was needed.

Especially right now the government drives a harsh course against VPNs and VPN services. But again, the SSL protocol still works. Lets just hope it stays like this.