Not connected, Your IP: 54.210.143.119
misterbjm

BBC iPlayer knows my location despite VPN

I have had a problem with BBC iPlayer. When I was in France at the beginning of Sept I was blocked when using Airvpn, On returning to the UK on Sept 4, with the same server activated on my iPad, I could connect. However, that could be because you had fixed the issue as you posted Sept 5th. However, I did other tests with the iPlayer which I have just re-checked. I am in the UK. My iPad is connected to Europe, and my iMac to Switzerland. However I can reach iPlayer and play programmes on both devices. Why is BBC not blocking me? I have cleared all the bbc cookies from my browser. Can they see through the VPN to identify me as a UK based system? I have checked ipleak.net and that site does not detect a leak and I have used Eddie and Visocity. Do I have a cause for concern?
Thanks

wow, thats what i call a detailed answer. About as useful as a choccy fire grate unless you are as clever as the respondent thinks he is or then you have to go find out what micro routing is and die of boredom.

So the answer is you have no concern.

I sign nothing, much

Still getting older....

I've never seen an explanation of what micro-routing actually is either. It would be nice if some one would explain it.

I've never seen an explanation of what micro-routing actually is either. It would be nice if some one would explain it.

A poor word, to be honest. It's a feature designed to be able to view geo-restricted content without switching servers.

Say, you want to view BBC iPlayer and you are connected to Kitalpha in Switzerland. Now, viewing BBC would suggest you are viewing this site from Switzerland, but only UK residents are allowed to view it (geo-restricted to UK). To not make you reconnect to a UK server, your request will be rerouted through GB2, a rerouting server of AirVPN used only for this purpose.

You <---> Kitalpha, CH <---> GB2 <---> BBC

In the end, the request appears to have come from a UK IP, even if you connect to Mesarthim in Germany the next time, and Phoenicis in Romania the next day.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.