Not connected, Your IP: 3.147.104.248
AK-47

Cannot communicate with printer while Network Lock is activated

Apologies if this is a basic question.

I have an Epson XP-800 printer, connected to my home network via Ethernet. I also have a PC running Windows 10 Creators Update, connected to the network via Wi-Fi.

I previously had PIA VPN (with Killswitch on 24/7) and had no issues printing or scanning.

But I recently changed my VPN provider to AirVPN, and ever since then, I can only communicate with my printer to initiate print and/or scan jobs when I deactivate Network Lock. This is a major issue for me, as I need Network Lock activated 24/7.

Can someone please tell me how to troubleshoot this in very very basic terms? I don't understand much about anything when it comes to networking so please bear with me and give me (or link me to) step-by-step instructions.

If I have omitted any information that may be useful, please let me know so I can update the post with relevant information.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, welcome.

1- Try adding the setting "Allow lan/private:" to Network lock.

Option 1 - AirVPN > Preferences > Network lock > check "Allow lan/private:"

That will open your machine to everything on that network. So if you have stuff like- a thermostat, refrigerator, locks to your front door, babysitter monitoring cameras, alarm system on your network, you might want to use a more specific setting - "Addresses allowed:". Or, not get sucked into all those "conveniences" <--- attempt at humor / sarcasm / anti-fad.

2 - It is in the same section but you will need the IP Address your printer was assigned (on your network). It looks like you can get this by "printing network status sheet". It's in the Epson manual on page 287. Once you have the IP address, add it in the "Addresses allowed:" section and uncheck "Allow lan/private:".

Option 2 - AirVPN > Preferences > Network lock > "Addresses allowed:" - (add IP Addresses)

Note: You are less likely to run into connectivity (to the XP-800) issues if you manually assign an IP address to it. But in the spirit of keeping it simple (which takes an effort for yours truly), just leave it if it works.

Hi and thanks for the response.

Option 1 - AirVPN > Preferences > Network lock > check "Allow lan/private:"

OK, so I went there and it was already checked.

Option 2 - AirVPN > Preferences > Network lock > "Addresses allowed:" - (add IP Addresses)

So I added the following Addresses allowed:

• nnn.nnn.nnn.52 (Nest thermostat - sorry, you were too late with the warning!)
  • nnn.nnn.nnn.55 (Philips Hue bridge)
  • nnn.nnn.nnn.56 (Epson XP-800)

and unchecked the Allow lan/private box.

Unfortunately this made no difference and I still cannot connect to the printer.

Any other ideas?

Note: You are less likely to run into connectivity (to the XP-800) issues if you manually assign an IP address to it. But in the spirit of keeping it simple (which takes an effort for yours truly), just leave it if it works.

I am open to giving this a go if it might help, but have no idea how! I would really appreciate some help with this.

Thanks for the help so far.

So your Network lock settings are like this:

"Mode: Windows Filtering Platform:"

"Allow lan/private:" is unchecked

"Allow ping:" is unchecked

Addresses allowed:

nnn.nnn.nnn.52

nnn.nnn.nnn.55

nnn.nnn.nnn.56

and the IP Addresses are in that order? I dunno. I'm going to turn the thermostat down. It's a little hot in here.

Can you ping any of them?

After you try ping'ing, check "Allow ping:" and try pinging.

Let's try to just ping the little buggers 1st but first try without "Allow ping:"

Those IP addresses are strange. A normal SOHO setup would have addresses starting around .2 or .3, not .52.

Are you trying this from the same subnet (nnn.nnn.nnn.000) or are you using one of the Epson Connect solutions I see in the manual.

Do you have any 3rd party security suite or anti-malware?

Might be better to get your printing back before messing around with IP addresses.

Sorry it has taken so long to test this out. Pinging appears to work fine for the printer, didn't try the Nest thermostat or Philips Hue bridge.

Upon further testing, I appear to be able to print. But I can only open the Epson Scan program on my PC if the Network Lock is deactivated. This seems very strange to me.

This is a big deal for me as I have approximately 200 documents that I need to scan this weekend!

Any ideas?

Is anything checked or did you successfully print and ping with only "Addresses allowed:"?

Curious, what if you place your printer .56 from last on the list to 1sy or 2nd (not last)?

This is a big deal for me as I have approximately 200 documents that I need to scan this weekend!

What happens when you run Epson Scan. Do you get a message like, Cannot communicate with the scanner...

Is anything checked or did you successfully print and ping with only "Addresses allowed:"?

Curious, what if you place your printer .56 from last on the list to 1sy or 2nd (not last)?

Ok so I have tried it as follows:

Xkgf8Id.png

It allows me to ping:

loEEv7H.png

It allows me to print.

What happens when you run Epson Scan. Do you get a message like, Cannot communicate with the scanner...

This happens:

oyP6ERd.png

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help so far.

I have a couple of Epson scanners and the software installation (not driver but Epson software) installed EEventManager.exe.

I noticed it was using a private class A IP address similar to what we use with AirVPN. I forgot what it was but your WiFi scanning issue could be related to Epson using that class A address which is being routed through the Air network.

OK, I found the IP Address(es) in my notes:

UDP    10.9.0.101:2968        *:*
[EEventManager.exe]

You can use the netstat cmd to check out listener ports. Something like this:

netstat -abn

or

netstat -abn|more (use spacebar to page down)

or

netstat -abn>%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Netstat.txt (the txt file will be on your desktop)

I have a couple of Epson scanners and the software installation (not driver but Epson software) installed EEventManager.exe.

I noticed it was using a private class A IP address similar to what we use with AirVPN. I forgot what it was but your WiFi scanning issue could be related to Epson using that class A address which is being routed through the Air network.

OK, I found the IP Address(es) in my notes:

UDP    10.9.0.101:2968        *:*

[EEventManager.exe]

OK, so to be honest I have no idea what any of this means, but I have performed the command:

netstat -abn>%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Netstat.txt (the txt file will be on your desktop)

with the following output:

[Deleted]

I don't really know the meaning of any of this! Could you have a look at it for me please?

Really appreciate your help and patience!

I don't know any of this either but it sure sounded good, huh? Seriously after looking the the netstat  output, the program I thought was the culprit is not running.

Please check out the PM I sent you also.

I also am not seeing Epson Scan listening on any network port, regardless of firewall rules.

So, I wouldn't know where to go from here other than a workaround. I scan over a USB cable since I'm loading/unloading the document feeder.  So I don't know much more about troubleshooting the scanning over network issue. Perhaps through Epson NetConfig Utility? Try searching for Epson Scan Setting utility and look at those settings also (if you haven't already).

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks for the PM, I have taken your advice.

Thank you also for your help trying to figure this out. I will have a look at the Epson utilities you suggested and report back on the off-chance I make any progress.