Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.102.112
WookieeB

Problems/concerns setting up OpenVPN for Android

Hi everybody, just started my 3 day trial (will go for a year if all works out) and this is my first post.

So I have been running Eddie on my Windows 7 PC all day and everything seems fine. Getting good download speeds and everything checks out on ipleak (after following directions to fix WebRTC detection in both Chrome and FF). Only glitch I have noticed is that within Eddie, occasionally the download speed on the overview tab shows ZERO (while I am downloading). The upload speed seems to register fine. Not an issue for me, just wanted to mention it.

Now on to my problem. I installed OpenVPN for Android onto my cell, then created and installed the configuration file for Linux (as advised in the forum here). OpenVPN reports that I am connected. I ran ipleak (see attached screenshots) and I am concerned that it is showing the IP address (starting with 2001:) of my phone while also showing the other IP as assigned by the AirVPN server. Also, when logged into AirVPN the status at top shows a red exclamation mark and "YourIP:".

The other concern is that the first time I ran ipleak the "AirVPN Exit Node" said "YES" but on all subsequent tests, it says "NO". Tested this in both Chrome and FF with same results. I did read through all the forum posts and I did read the replies regarding internal IP's but just want to be sure as one of the main reasons for getting this service is protection over public WiFi.

I am using a Moto E (2nd Gen) with Android version 6.0 (thought that was the most recent version but I see now that 7 is more current, not sure if my phone will run that and if it would make a difference. Thought I ran all operating system updates!?!)

Thanks in advance for the help!!

B-

One thing I'd like to mention is that you can toggle IPv6 on and off in your Android device settings. Typically, it's APN found in Cellular Networks, Access Point Names, (your provider config), APN protocol and APN roaming protocol. Be sure to Save the change in the submenu (usually three dots).

Hey Fly AirVPN, thanks for the reply.

I took a look and found the APN settings, but they are all grayed out. Either way, the protocol is already set to IPv4 only.

When I Googled how to completely disable IPv6, everything I read all said the same thing: I would need to "root" my phone. Seeing as though I don't see IPv6 as being enabled on my phone, I wouldn't think that I need to worry?

Cheers,

B-

AirVPN staff is testing IPv6 for their upcoming release this year of IPv6 in the tunnel. I read that after finding your concern. So, you're good. You can find the forum thread here.