Not connected, Your IP: 18.218.61.16
Sign in to follow this  
MrRandom

I had 18 forwarded ports I didn't add

I just check my forwarded ports for the first time in a while and I had 18 that I didn't add. I only added 2 ports when I first joined AirVPN almost 3 years ago. Where did these extra ports come from? Should I be concerned?

No, you shouldn't.

A more plausible explanation is that you shared your account with others, or forgot that you assigned a range of many ports.

Many users assign more ports than they actually end up using, and the automatic available port search tool allows to assign 20.

@pr1v There is no actual reason to "hack" public accounts that can be offered to anyone for $7 per month.

This is why 2FA and other measures that are applicable to real user-service applications are less important on public VPNs, but that's another topic.

The only information the users at Air are entitled to is:

1) The premium service expiration date

2) Email address,

3) Payment method (but not the transaction itself)

all of which are not considered as sensitive data.

Hacking the service is one thing, but hacking an individual account just to access the premium features doesn't seem as a valid scenario.

This is not a payment system after all, so hacking accounts should be ruled out as the last probability in most situations.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

zhang888: I supposed that he was sure that he only forwarded 2 ports. In that case, if someone hack his username and password, he could enter in AirVPN website, in the Client Area and forward more ports, if not (and if it's sure, as it seems to be) how is it possible?. Well, if he was not sure in all these 3 years that he never added more ports, then of course it could be as you say, but with his post I understood that he was sure. Today you know it's very possible to get a virus and steal your username and password. And the person who did it could do it for many reasons we don't know, and I think in many of them... In his case I would analyze the computer to be sure. But, of course, he could have forgotten what he did in all these years or shared his account.

pr1v you are right I know for a 100% fact that I only ever reserved 2 ports, 1 for uTorrent and 1 for Vuze and I have no need for more. I only added ports not ranges and the extra ports were not a range they were random. I've also never shared my account. I just checked and I still only have my 3 ports, I just added a new port for Vuze and haven't removed the old one yet.

I Haven't noticed any other problems on my computer. I run Kaspersky Internet Security and I keep my browser locked down about as tight as you can so I'm pretty sure I don't have any viruses. I haven't ran a manual virus scan in a while but I'll do that when I'm finished here. The next time I disconnect from AirVPN or reboot my computer I'll change my AirVPN password. I'll also try to check the site more often to see it more ports are added again.

I just checked and I still only have my two ports, I removed my old unused port last night so I should just have two ports again from now on. I also ran a virus scan on my boot drive last night and it was clean.

I just checked and I still only have my two ports, I removed my old unused port last night so I should just have two ports again from now on. I also ran a virus scan on my boot drive last night and it was clean.

Then I think zhang888 was right, or you forgot what you did in the past or maybe someone you know touched something, who knows... But now you are fine