Not connected, Your IP: 3.137.174.216
Sign in to follow this  
FrayedEndsOfSanity

Eddie feature request - pinger tests only on whitelisted countries / servers

Ubuntu 16 using Eddie 2.11.3

There's a separate hardware firewall in my environment, between the box using Eddie and the Internet.  This firewall can contain a limited number of entries.  Rather than globally disable pinger tests as I do currently, would be useful if Eddie only pinged whitelisted countries / servers please.

Thanks,
FrayedEnds

Out of curiosity, why would that be a desired behaviour in your case?

The exactly same ping occurs from your browser whenever you access the Status page as well.

The amount of traffic this action consumes is only a few bytes.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

It's desired because I whitelist airvpn IPs for a couple of specific countries only. The IPs are not necessarily summarisable and I have a limited number of firewall rules I can add. Have a small script that resolves all the relevant IPs and adds the firewall rules that runs daily.

Currently, I'd have to add entries for either all ICMP traffic (which I don't want) or add entries for all airvpn servers, or Eddie will hang waiting for ICMP responses that the firewall is blocking. Equally, the endpoint selection based on load sensing is useful so would rather leave the pinger enabled.

Would also be very useful to have a list of IPs / ports / protocols that are required to make Eddie work - authentication, configuration settings, etc. Have currently reverse engineered these from the firewall logs. Published as a sticky or on the tech info page maybe.

FrayedEnds

The pinger can be disabled, but globally. Check the Advanced options.

Not sure why you had to reverse engineer, a term which is usually used to analyze closed source software, in order

to whitelist the relevant IP addresses.

This is located in your AirVPN.xml file, and can also be found in the source code:

./src/Core/Resources/AirVPN.xml:      <url address="http://54.93.175.114" />

./src/Core/Resources/AirVPN.xml:      <url address="http://54.246.124.152" />

./src/Core/Resources/AirVPN.xml:      <url address="http://54.225.156.17" />

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.