Not connected, Your IP: 3.128.198.21
air_is_nice

OpenVPN/AirVPN on a raspberry pi 3

Hello,

I'm using AirVPN with OpenVPN (udp port 443) using a raspberry pi 3. My home connection is 100/10mb and the max I get in the raspberry pi (connected to an NL server) is around 12Mbit/s.

Is this normal? Is there a way to optimize it or is this the maximum I can get with the PI?

There are plenty of topics about the RaspBerry Pi. There are some topics dealing with exactly this question. Simply search for raspberry.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

There are plenty of topics about the RaspBerry Pi. There are some topics dealing with exactly this question. Simply search for raspberry.

I did search but I didn't find anything regarding speeds on the raspberry 3. If you've a specific thread in mind, please link me to it.

Thank you.

OpenVPN's disadvantage is that it does not use all available cores. In fact, it uses just one. This is noted in thread Slow Downloads on Pi, for example.

As for the speed question, thread Is a Raspberry-pi 2 good enough for AirVPN? is helpful, Mr. mlp linked to a good thread there. Feel free to read your way through this as well.

OpenVPN's disadvantage is that it does not use all available cores. In fact, it uses just one. This is noted in thread Slow Downloads on Pi, for example.

As for the speed question, thread Is a Raspberry-pi 2 good enough for AirVPN? is helpful, Mr. mlp linked to a good thread there. Feel free to read your way through this as well.

I had already read that. The first link you gave me is about a raspberry pi 2. Though it was interesting to know that it's just a 1core process. Though that post is more than 1 year old, I would've hoped things to have changed by now. Guess not.

The second thread is about the raspberry pi 1. I've the raspberry pi 3.

Do you think it's making much of a difference if I use a 1.2 GHz CPU core instead of a 800 MHz one? The problem is the same.

If you want, you can test SSL/443, just to see how fast it is then. If there's less throughput, you can be sure that it reached its CPU bottleneck.