Not connected, Your IP: 18.220.81.106
benze

Is there anyway to configure AirVPN to route only certain URLs via the client?

Hi,

I'm evaluating AirVPN and would like to find a way to configure it such that only traffic from a certain application or from certain URLs are routed via the VPN.  Is this feasible?

I need to use the client on a desktop that needs access to multiple different networks that are all part of an intranet, even though they may have non private addresses (ex: some networks have public addresses).  If my traffic is routed through a VPN, the firewall would reject the traffic from an unknown IP address.

Additionally, I would like to either restrict traffic that is routed via the VPN to specific URLs/domains of my choosing, or from a certain application.  For example, I can see this extremely useful if I were to configure a local Proxy app that directed all it's traffic through the VPN, and when I wanted any browser traffic to go through the VPN, I could just direct that specific browser window to use the proxy.

Is any of that feasible?

Thanks,

Eric

The IP addresses or CIDR masks are possible to route via the client.

URLs are impossible to route via OpenVPN "as is" since a URL is a very abstract definition with many factors, one of them is DNS.

As for the rest of the things, you can accomplish it if you run the client in a separate VM, then you can install SOCKS

server there and make your browser use the SOCKS port of your VM to access the internet.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

To support zhang888's reply, I use a geo-restricted VoIP service and added the authentication IP and voice/data IP for the softphone to only route through the VPN client. It works flawlessly. Your situation is more complex but you might find this setup useful. 

The problem with routing only by IP becomes extremely complicated, hence the idea if I could route by application instead.  For instance, I need all my internal traffic to stay internal, but would want all my mail.google.com and drive.google.com traffic to go through the VPN.  But regular google queries could go through the normal network instead.  And with google having a million IPs, trying to track them all would be a lesson in frustration.

If I could somehow setup/configure the network such that all traffic from a certain application be routed through a specific NIC, then I was hoping to set up a local proxy server and send all my browser windows through that connection (using something like ProxyOmega).  But it doesn't seem like that is feasible either.

Running the client in a dedicated VM is an interesting idea, but of course has the overhead of running a VM in the background all the time.  I don't even know the minimal size VM that I could get away with; probably some headless linux install, but that means using this client command-line-only as well.  Any idea what the smallest footprint (RAM & disk) I could get away with to run this client?

I'm open to any other great solutions!

Thanks,

Eric

You might want to try this app:

https://r1ch.net/projects/forcebindip

Note that this is an experimental tool and you can run into issues.

The smallest VM to run an openvpn client can be very small - even some routers with 64MB can run it.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.