Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.212.145
Sign in to follow this  
Phx

AirVPN question

Hello,

My yearly subscription with present VPN provider will expired soon and I am looking for new SUPPLIER. I read a lot of positive feedback about AIRVPN especially about working with TOR and privacy. Before I make a decision I would like to ask some question.

1. My present VPN client is using a lot of PC resources but recently some new feature has been added like "Ad-blocker" and "malware and virus protection".

AIRVPN client also provide similar options ?

2. At work I cannot use VPN no admin rights to install it. Most of website are blocked. There is only one thing I can do. SSH to some server and use DYNAMIC TUNNELING for my browser. AIRVPN offer similar server for SSH with port 80 or 443 ?

3. On Android there is built in system for VPN. Problem is that not all VPN provider has PPTP, L2TP or IPSEXtht which will work. Can I use AIRVPN with Android built in VPN.

Problem with additional software for Android is that some of them cannot correctly AUTO-connect to VPN when I start mobile data or WIFI.

Best Regards

You can use OpenVPN Connect https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.openvpn.openvpn on your phone and use the AirVPN Configfile (works fine on Android 5.1.1)

OpenVPN Connect is the official full-featured Android VPN client for the OpenVPN Access Server, Private Tunnel VPN and OpenVPN Community, developed by OpenVPN Technologies, Inc.

Features:

* Supports Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and higher. Does NOT require a rooted device.

* Easily import .ovpn profiles from SD card, OpenVPN Access Server, Private Tunnel or via a browser link.

* Improved power management - preferences setting allows VPN to pause in a low-power state whenever screen is blanked or network is unavailable.

* Android Keychain integration - OpenVPN profiles may reference a cert/key pair in the Android keychain.

* Supports hardware-backed keystores (such as on the Nexus 7)

* Support for multi-factor authentication using OpenVPN static and dynamic challenge/response protocols.

* Full IPv6 support (at both the tunnel and transport layer)

* Uses PolarSSL (not affected by Heartbleed issue)

Was wir an Niedern rühmen als Geduld, ist blasse Feigheit in der Brust - William Shakespeare

SSH Dynamic Tunneling alone is not available, however you do have the option to connect via OpenVPN via SSH Tunnel which allows you to hide the OpenVPN connection itself - but this needs admin permissions.

In regards to Android, you can use the OpenVPN Connect application as the person above me suggested. I also use it, and it has the capability to automatically start whenever you get an active internet connection.

SSH Dynamic Tunneling alone is not available, however you do have the option to connect via OpenVPN via SSH Tunnel which allows you to hide the OpenVPN connection itself - but this needs admin permissions.

In regards to Android, you can use the OpenVPN Connect application as the person above me suggested. I also use it, and it has the capability to automatically start whenever you get an active internet connection.

I don't have admin permissions.  There is plan for SSH Dynamic Tunneling?

What about "Ad-blocker" and "malware and "virus protection" for AIRVPN client ?

+1 about ssh tunneling without admin rights!

In the past I had to use 2 VPN,s (identitycloaker.com being the other one and expensive...) because I needed a connection without admin rights. And who knows if this could happen again...

SSH Tunneling is available on all plans, read this:

https://airvpn.org/topic/13486-ssh-tunneled-vpn-on-stock-android/

Ad-blocker and malware protection is not something any VPN provider does. In fact there is very little you can

technically do on the network level. Probably they just let you use OpenDNS/Comodo DNS servers with some

basic filters and maybe a few adware prevention. But this is very far from a solution, and in most cases they

will just replace malicious ads with their own promoted junk.

Read more:

https://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2872700/6-dns-services-protect-against-malware-and-other-unwanted-content.html

If you look for real ad-free and malware-free expeirience on Android, make sure to keep up with latest OS updates, and use

a combination Firefox + Ublock Origin for browsing.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

He's asking about ssh tunneling without admin rights at work (I imagine with some pc in a shared network)

I thought AirVPN was not offering something like that, only with Openvpn and so with admin rights...

Do you think it´s possible to use putty and connect through ssh to Airvpn servers without admin rights?. Maybe AirVPN is not accepting it.

Outgoing SSH connections do not require admin permissions on Windows and *nix.

Under Windows, you can use Putty or plink to do it.

Only in Android, if you want to route all your traffic, you will need root.

Yes, you are right: it must work if he has direct connection and in the case that in his work they are not using a proxy, maybe he can tell us something more. I didn´t know, thanks.

SSH Tunneling is available on all plans, read this:

https://airvpn.org/topic/13486-ssh-tunneled-vpn-on-stock-android/

Ad-blocker and malware protection is not something any VPN provider does. In fact there is very little you can

technically do on the network level. Probably they just let you use OpenDNS/Comodo DNS servers with some

basic filters and maybe a few adware prevention. But this is very far from a solution, and in most cases they

will just replace malicious ads with their own promoted junk.

Read more:

https://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2872700/6-dns-services-protect-against-malware-and-other-unwanted-content.html

If you look for real ad-free and malware-free expeirience on Android, make sure to keep up with latest OS updates, and use

a combination Firefox + Ublock Origin for browsing.

My present vpn provider offer "ad blocker" and "block harmful website (with exploit kit)" and "data compresion" good for mobile data.

Right now at work I don't have any admin rights with blocked almost all website. I need to use putty and make SSH to my server with Dynamic port forwarding. Them I use this port in my web browser to BYPASS RESTRICTIONS.

This mean that right now I have to pay one provider for server and other one for VPN. I have doubled cost.

This is why I would like to know if AIRVPN can provide my with both. Dynamic tunnelin and VPN ?