Not connected, Your IP: 3.141.193.158
pr1v

Do you offer some proxy?

I was wondering if AirVPN offers some proxy/ies to browse too, not only the VPN itself.

If not, are you thinking to add it?. It could be useful in some situations.

Thanks

I believe AirVPN does offer a proxy. If you open the AirVPN client and go to preferences there is a proxy tab. There is also a setup for a proxy in the client area under "config generator". Hopefully staff will be along to give further details on the matter.

I know that but that's in the case you need to connect to the VPN through some proxy. What I mean is about an AirVPN proxy to surf without using the VPN.

In that case no. I don't think AirVPN offers that. You might want to send their support a message just to confirm.

In that case no. I don't think AirVPN offers that. You might want to send their support a message just to confirm.

A temporary solution to this would be to have either a VM, LAN server or other server to connect to the VPN, then you SSH tunnel through the server and you can selectively choose which applications go through the SSH tunnel.

I hope AirVPN offers this option, many VPN,s are doing it nowadays...

This

+1

I am not sure why Tor is not suitable for whatever was your task? You will get lots more exit nodes and you can adjust it for your needs.

The idea that Air's exits will be sort of "open proxies" is not something welcome, at least from a security/privacy perspective.

You need an authentication server, an HTTP proxy like Squid, and a few more daemons. This increases the attack surface against

the infrastructure. There are more "bad" implications to such setup for example if the tcp/80 port will reply with an http status - this

is a giveaway that the IP behind this is an open-proxy or a shared device, and more.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I am not sure why Tor is not suitable for whatever was your task? You will get lots more exit nodes and you can adjust it for your needs.

The idea that Air's exits will be sort of "open proxies" is not something welcome, at least from a security/privacy perspective.

You need an authentication server, an HTTP proxy like Squid, and a few more daemons. This increases the attack surface against

the infrastructure. There are more "bad" implications to such setup for example if the tcp/80 port will reply with an http status - this

is a giveaway that the IP behind this is an open-proxy or a shared device, and more.

I would assume the OP wants to route his torrenting through the proxy, and have the rest of the system go through his ISP.

I would assume the OP wants to route his torrenting through the proxy, and have the rest of the system go through his ISP.

He used to term "browse" this is why I really don't see what you can do with a proxy, that you can't with Tor.

For torrenting he would better use VPN - a proxy is not a solution for this, majority of the traffic uses uTP which is UDP.

A proxy can do HTTP (TCP), sometimes raw TCP (Socks). But you can get a better solution with the ssh tunnel.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I don´t want to use it as a security feature, using a proxy to surf is "sometimes" useful if you need to connect to some places to watch movies in different countries without losing speed (with Tor is different). Or sometimes you don´t need the VPN and you only need to hide your ip address or connect to some websites forbidden in your country.

If I need security I always connect with AirVPN + Tor, or Tor with AirVPN, and I normally never use javascript or java.

No, it doesn't support this. However there is something you can use in the config generator to fiddle with

Maybe I am missing something or you didn´t understand me, but I don´t see that option in the config generator. I only see the option to connect with Openvpn, not an ip address or host name to connect as a simple proxy in my browser.

This is something I value too.  A proxy can be connected to in a single second and "one clicked" with a browser extension like "SwitchyOmega" and I have my UK proxy set to it so I can watch all the free UK TV over the internet.  I don't know any SmartDNS services that work on "British only" Youtube stuff like Al Jazzera English, or Euronews, so a proxy is important to me.   I find I just don't watch it if I have to wait for the VPN to log in.  

I guess I could try speeding up AirVPN connection by using the generic OpenVPN client to the UK always loaded unconnected in the tray or I could try Eyes878 suggestion of having a VM constantly connected to to a UK server and route through that.        

Added later:  I was already using a VM for torrenting so I setup another VM and had Eddie connect to the UK, on that VM, and right now I'm using CCproxy on the VM side, and SwitchyOmega on the chrome browser end, and now I can "one click" (instant) and my browser gets routed through the UK.  So I got my own AirVPN proxy.   :-)   

thanks Eyes878 

It's not necessary a plugin or browser extension to use a proxy, every browser has that option and it's very easy. Not everybody can use a VM in computers if they are old or going very slow.

I don't want to change to another VPN or pay another one to get this option, and I can't use Eddie in my tablet (for example). Many VPN,s are offering a simple proxy to use with their servers, please AirVPN staff: offer this option

AirVPN is all about security, I been talking to them for 2 days about things concerning this, they prioritize security above anything else, they won't offer anything that they can't provide their usual security standards on. Proxies are much more different than VPNs and not that secure so don't count on them providing it, also I got a phone and tablet both, the solution that has worked for me is use the config generator and make an openVPN file and use that

Thank you ZeroMaki.

Yes, I received an answer today, they told me that if they do it it would be apart from the vpn servers we are using, for security reasons, and I agree.