Not connected, Your IP: 44.201.94.1

Hey, I just got myself an Airvpn account and was torrenting through utorrent when I noticed something in the peers list which made my heart skip a beat.  My computer's name showed up exactly in the peers list.  A little searching showed that this is "reverse dns games/lookup" and that it is a way of finding a domain name based on an IP?  How and why can this reverse dns show my IP while connected to a VPN (selected the SSL setting too)?  Or if that isnt my IP why does utorrent show my exact PC name in the peers list?  I also tested on ipleak.net the torrent address thing and it came up clean showing airvpn's ip.

Also if anyone has a guide for anonymizing torrenting through vpns thatd be great.  I'm not up on all these ports things so i selected randomize port in utorrent.

Thank you!

Hey, I just got myself an Airvpn account and was torrenting through utorrent when I noticed something in the peers list which made my heart skip a beat.  My computer's name showed up exactly in the peers list.  A little searching showed that this is "reverse dns games/lookup" and that it is a way of finding a domain name based on an IP?  How and why can this reverse dns show my IP while connected to a VPN (selected the SSL setting too)?  Or if that isnt my IP why does utorrent show my exact PC name in the peers list?  I also tested on ipleak.net the torrent address thing and it came up clean showing airvpn's ip.

Also if anyone has a guide for anonymizing torrenting through vpns thatd be great.  I'm not up on all these ports things so i selected randomize port in utorrent.

Thank you!

Yes, if you're using your ISP's DNS, that could happen, though I've not experienced that using AirVPN on Windows.

Assuming you're using Windows, do you have "Force DNS" checked in your AirVPN client under Preferences -> Advanced -> General -> "Microsoft Windows Only"? I check off all three options under that heading and it works well.

If you're not already, you should check out ipleak.net (site is run by AirVPN) to see how you're being identified on the internet. You can also download a torrent magnet link there (open in utorrent) to check if you're anonymous.

Yes, if you're using your ISP's DNS, that could happen, though I've not experienced that using AirVPN on Windows.

Thank you!

Assuming you're using Windows, do you have "Force DNS" checked in your AirVPN client under Preferences -> Advanced -> General -> "Microsoft Windows Only"? I check off all three options under that heading and it works well.

If you're not already, you should check out ipleak.net (site is run by AirVPN) to see how you're being identified on the internet. You can also download a torrent magnet link there (open in utorrent) to check if you're anonymous.

Yes on windows 7 and i have that option enabled.  Ipleak.net shows no leaks, dns or otherwise on any of the tests.

Anyone?  I searched a lot and the best info I can find is that people are calling it "reverse dns games" and the most informative post was this;

"what you see INSIDE the network and OUTSIDE the network are two different things. Your computer name is a NETBIOS name and is not routable. That means it does not cross the NAT routing to the Internet but other NETBIOS machines on the internal network will see that name rather than the external IP or rDNS name that your ISP provides. "

Which of course means nothing to me.

Actually, my own IP (real or VPN) doesn't even show up in the peer list of files I'm uploading or downloading via uTorrent. I use an older verson of uTorrent (2.2.1) though. I would have thought if the magnet link shows only your VPN IP on ipleak.net you're set. Maybe someone else knows more.

tried putting some gibberish in the  IP/Hostname to  report to tracker field?

(Preferences-> BitTorrent)

tried putting some gibberish in the  IP/Hostname to  report to tracker field?

(Preferences-> BitTorrent)

Can't say i know what this means.  When it comes to internet/networking stuff i am a complete noob.

According to all the threads on utorrent about this its a well known issue, just that every thread i was able to find only had peoples responses simply stating "its fine its just reverse dns games" and similar.  As P2P is supposed to relay IPs that response doesnt tell me if noone else can see my PC name when connected via a VPN.  I'd like some kind of explanation on what exactly its doing.

This quote doesnt mean anything to anyone else?

"what you see INSIDE the network and OUTSIDE the network are two different things. Your computer name is a NETBIOS name and is not routable. That means it does not cross the NAT routing to the Internet but other NETBIOS machines on the internal network will see that name rather than the external IP or rDNS name that your ISP provides. "

I'd really like to continue using my VPN.

Hi

When i activated VPN my wirless network adapter have DNS. 10.4.0.1.   

In one post i read that in utorent you shoud change in setings Primary DNS to 10.4.0.1.  I did that.   Is it ok if DNS adress is the same in router and utorent in meaining of safety