Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.108.18
coypus

Linux client - minimize to tray

Hi all

The Linux client (is it called Eddie?) doesn't seem to have an option to make it minimize to the system tray like it does in Windows. (The is a system tray, I have many other application minimised to it, e.g. dropbox, keepass and others, but these either appear there automatically or have an option in the program to minimise to the system tray).

Have I missed something and, if not, could this feature be added? Or does any one know of a way to do this myself manually? (Using Lubuntu 14.10)

Thanks

Coypus

I discovered a reasonable work-around - a program called AllTray (available in the Lubuntu repos, presumably also any Ubunutu flavour and possible Debian too).

This program allows you to click on the Airvpn client (or any) window and it minimises to the tray. It's doesn't work absolutely perfectly with the airvpn client, I guess becuase it (airvpn client) is a Mono application in Linux. E.g. starting from the command line as "alltray airvpn" doesn't work as expected (meaning I can't modify the Application menu entry to this, neither set it up as an autostart entry) and "show/hide" in the airvpn menu when minimised to the tray also doesn't work, you need to undock it. I guess most of this won't mean much unless you know AllTray, so I suggest to try it.

Though it has these problems I'm still quite happy with it (of course a native minimize to tray function in the airvpn client would still be the preferred solution).

+ 1

It sounds like a super easy function.

For the time being, what I do is moving the window to another desktop (Mint 18.1).

would also like to see the option - minimize to system tray included for Linux users.

2017 and no reply to this request not even any feedback from the AirVPN crew. Why do us Linux guys have to wait for everything? Come on guys it's no biggy for you to sort it out!! 

2017 and no reply to this request not even any feedback from the AirVPN crew. Why do us Linux guys have to wait for everything? Come on guys it's no biggy for you to sort it out!! 

We have a working "minimize to tray" for Linux on Eddie 3 (that is a fresh new UI for all platforms but still a wip) and we are evaluating internally if it could be backported to Eddie 2.x.

Thanks for your patience.

+1 for the feature.

For the ones complaining about lack of support, this is an open source project, so you're welcome to contribute:

https://github.com/AirVPN/Eddie

I've just started using it, so coudln't spend much time looking at the code, but being multi-platform, minimising to tray would be subjective to various OSs particulars, so maybe not too straightforward. Also look at the small size of the contributors community. I understand if they take their time in terms of the "looks" and concentrate to privacy and security points.

Cheers

Returning to this topic 3 years after I started it (blimey, is it 3 already?!). There was a mention of Eddie 3 being in the works - is this usable yet and available anywhere for download (for those of us who like to live on the edge)? I checked the github page and airvpn download page but couldn't find any mention of it. If it's not usable yet, any ETA? (when it's ready, I know ;-), how about an alpha at least...)