Not connected, Your IP: 3.129.67.26
Sign in to follow this  
Escapist

ANSWERED Question about use of VPN in conjunction with p2p client

Hi!

I have a question; does the use of a VPN enhance security/anonymity when using p2p services such as eMule?
Broad answers, specific answers welcome - but my end goal is safe use of p2p, which I'm only now learning about.

Google results I got pertaining to the interaction between vpn and eMule are mainly several years old.

I apologize in advance if this is something that should be read implicitly from these forums' guides on how to properly set up port forwarding for this kind of thing, etc.

Thank you very much!

VPN will hide your real IP from showing up in eMule for other peers

. It will also prevent your ISP from seeing you are using eMule.

Hi!

I have a question; does the use of a VPN enhance security/anonymity when using p2p services such as eMule?

Broad answers, specific answers welcome - but my end goal is safe use of p2p, which I'm only now learning about.

Google results I got pertaining to the interaction between vpn and eMule are mainly several years old.

I apologize in advance if this is something that should be read implicitly from these forums' guides on how to properly set up port forwarding for this kind of thing, etc.

Thank you very much!

eMule is not as popular as it once was. It has been pretty much replaced by the BitTorrent protocol. BitTorrent clients like uTorrent, Vuze, etc. are widely used now. Torrents are found by browsing indexing sites (such as "The Pirate Bay") using a browser.

To answer your question, yes, using a VPN should allow you to avoid getting letters from your ISP. If you want to try BitTorrent and you are using Windows (Vista or later), then this guide may help:

/topic/9549-traffic-splitting-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-only-for-torrenting-on-windows-thanks-to-nadre/

/topic/9491-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-just-for-torrenting-on-windows/

I have not used eMule in a long time. I do not know if it can be bound to an IP interface in the way uTorrent and Vuze can (see the guide).