Not connected, Your IP: 3.139.97.157
Sign in to follow this  
hamburger87

Horrendous performance on Google Fiber

I have done some searching but have not really found anything that has been of much help yet. I am also kind of a newbie to the world of VPN so I ask forgiveness if I am unclear or unsure how to do everything.

I have google fiber and normally get 960 down 960 up. When I hook into the VPN I expect a drop, but the drop I am getting is clear down to 5-8mbps. When I had centurylink before at 40mbps it would remain pretty consistent and up to around 40mbps but it has been a while since I used airvpn and I am using it on a different system now.

I have tried connecting through different ports including 53, 443, 80, in both forms.

I have also forwarded the ports on my router to my computer. 53 wouldn't connect in UDP initially and then it would after I forwarded it. However,after about 3 minutes of being connected on port 53, the computer would blue screen. Any other port this never happened. Weird, right?

The speed through all those ports was consistently about 5-10mbps, never getting higher. Occasionally I would get 30mbps up, but never above 10 down regardless of the port or server.

I tried multiple servers in multiple regions, same results. I have tried setting my dns servers to opendns and did a dnsleak test but it didnt appear to have a leak problem...if that is relevant right now.

What am I doing or not doing and does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?