Not connected, Your IP: 3.133.87.156
darckhart

android sprint 3G/4G webpage never loads

Hi all,

first time user and poster!

as the topic title says, i can't seem to get webpages to load when using the cellular data. vpn on the wifi works just fine: all webpages load and i can check that my external ip is the vpn.

here's what i've done:

1. get on wifi. enable vpn, goto whatsmyip.org and confirm vpn ip. browse to other websites. everything fine.

2. get on wifi, disable vpn. goto whatsmyip.org and confirm non-vpn ip. browse to other websites. everything fine.

3. disable wifi. use cell data (sprint 3g or 4g). goto whatsmyip.org and confirm non-vpn ip. browse to other websites. everything fine.

4. disable wifi. use cell data. enable vpn. attempt to goto whatsmyip.org. page never loads. try browsing other websites. pages never load. 

openvnp app log does tell me when it successfully connects, though it does seem to drop the connection more frequently when using the cellular data. not sure why. i usually have 3-4 bars of signal.

phone: Motorola Moto X

carrier: Sprint

browser: chrome

thanks for any advice!

Hm. well I generated and tried port 80 and 53. same result. I looked into the openvpn log and see this line as soon as I attempt to load a page:

P:write UDP[]: Operation not permitted (code=1)

Was that TCP 80 and UDP 53 or both TCP and UDP 80 and 53? Not sure what the deal is if it's TCP 80 but my ISP hijacks UDP 53 and it fails. Have you tried TCP 443?

My phone does not have a CLI. Can you drop into a command line with your Droid?

If so try,

ping 10.4.0.1

ping google.com

ping 8.8.8.8

hm nope i dont have terminal on this phone, but i'm sure i can dl something from the google play store. i can't seem to find the "file manager" app on this version of android anymore either. seems like they stripped out a lot of things since I last used android.

I have to regenerate the profiles for the others to double check, but I am certain UDP 443 is not working (trying it now). I will also check the logs and see if I get different error messages with the other protocols and ports.

Thanks for the suggestions so far amnesty.

So, it appears Sprint doesn't like any of the UDP connections. It always throws up that "operation not permitted error." However, it appears TCP connections are ok with TCP 80 working the best. However, it seems like something about using openvpn is causing the connection to drop very, very often and the pages to load very, very slowly. For example, I can have 4 bars of 3g signal and surf just fine. Turn on openvpn with a TCP 80 profile and suddenly it'll take forever to load a page (20-40 seconds), or it will simply drop the connection (as in I'll suddenly go to 0 bars). There's not enough 4g coverage in my area to check on that. In any case, it appears that using openvpn and 3g data on Sprint won't work for me. But if anyone has time, i'd sure like some help figuring out why this is the case.