Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.218.130
Rockstead

How to test if "block all traffic with DD-WRT if VPN connection fails" is working

Great thread in the how to's, exactly what I was looking for because my satellite provider is in the USA and offers an On Demand service which uses your Internet service but detects whether your IP is from the USA and there is no VPN client o the satellite receiver so I have no other choice but to do it from the router level.

1. My fear is, how do I test if this rule actually works? I risk losing my subscription of they ever detect my non USA IP, so I want to test this feature.

2. Is DNS leak detection the only other thing I need to add to the firewall rules as well?

3. Now I don't have to mess around installing any type of clients on my windows PC's right, the whole house will be protected? Any disadvantage to this?

4. This means I can Torrent safely from my pc with without airvpn client or do I still need it for some reason?

I'm no expert but here is what I do.

1. After putting the firewall rule in place I go to the VPN tab on the router and shut off openvpn. After openvpn is shut down your entire network should be down if your firewall is working correctly. I use a network monitor and watch the traffic drop to 0%. I don't think your real IP is ever released during this (I could be wrong though).

2. I don't know. Air automatically masks your DNS now I believe, but I still use openvpn's DNS servers (changed in the router settings). Check it at http://www.dnsleaktest.com/

3. You don't have to install anything. Every device that is connected to your network (wired or wireless) will go through Air. I haven't found a disadvatange yet. Only thing I would see is if you wanted to connect to Air from outside your network you would first have to turn openvpn off on your router. I don't know if the disconnect button works on here or not for that I haven't tried it.

4. Yes all your traffic, including torrent, will route through Air. If you try and connect to the client while the router is connected it won't let you.